Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAC Application - Medical Condition

FAC Application - Medical Condition

Hello all

Big problems today guys. Recently applied for my FAC via North Wales Police. I have suffered from a stress related illness during my militany days 15 years ago so annotated it in my application. I received a letter from North Wales Police this morning with an additional letter to give to my GP asking for a report to be written with words to the effect that I was medically fit enough to hold a FAC. I presented the letter to my GP reception and asked if they could assist, I said that this would probably incur a fee which is no problem. After some deliberation between the receptionist and the practise manager they told me that it was their surgery policy not to assist in any matters relating to FAC or shotgun applications so refused to help me! They advised me to try another surgery. I have to admit that my surgery (Rhoslan, Colwyn Bay) is not very helpful at the best of times however I'm pretty well snookered. I'm thinking of approaching a private medical practitioner to assist. I just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem before or could advise. I'm obviously calling North Wales Police FAC office on Monday to explain my dilemma.

My first bit of advice would be to approach your GP directly. It is not the receptionist's or the practice manager's jobs to rule on things like this. This is a matter of professional competence and they are not competent. Talk to your GP before the police. Be polite but firm. You might also ask your GP why their employees think they are qualified in this matter.

Best wishes,

David.

Isn't that discrimination on your surgery's part? Definitely sounds like it's time to change doctors.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/upload...fact-sheet.pdf

Part way down page three is the bit about what to do if your GP won't do it - and it is basically to call the FLD as you're planning to do already.

I'm still completely flummoxed as to why the BASC supports the idea that those with declared conditions have to foot the GP's bill for the report whcih the Police require. It seems discriminatory against those with declarable health-problems/disabilities that they should be personally financially penalised when the beneficiary of the arrangement is ostensibly the public at large. One wonders whether there might be problems relating to conflict of intererest if the applicant is the one paying the GP for the report.

I know it doesn't help but it could be that the surgery have taken that stance in protest of the onus being put on them to declare you fit to hold a fac rather than because they are against guns.

I'm sure GPS feel they may have the finger pointed at them if a shooter leaves the reservation and they had signed off on them

Hello all

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated. I will touch base with North Wales Police FAC office on Monday to discuss the issue with my local surgery. I was under the impression that the Police contacted my GP directly and not via me. Anyway, I will update my progress on Monday. A friend has said that I should make a formal complaint on the grounds of indirect discrimination against my surgery however I'm not to sure about this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaker Morant View Post
    A friend has said that I should make a formal complaint on the grounds of indirect discrimination against my surgery however I'm not to sure about this route.
    I'd see what the FLD has to say first. As they seems to have allowed for the possibility of GPs not playing along with this it seems unlikely that the GP practice is doing something that they're not entitled to do. As the document says:
    Applicants and certificate holders should not be disadvantaged if their GP does not provide the information needed.

They're going to be disadvantaged financially either way, of course: but as BASC and the Home Office thinks that's fine, I guess there's nothing to worry about.

The actual discrimination seems to me that folk who have a history of one of the specified medical problems have to factor in the ??? to pay for a GPs report to be supplied to the FLD in addition to the usual application fee.
    This, and BASC's support for it, I still find hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    My first bit of advice would be to approach your GP directly. It is not the receptionist's or the practice manager's jobs to rule on things like this. This is a matter of professional competence and they are not competent. Talk to your GP before the police. Be polite but firm. You might also ask your GP why their employees think they are qualified in this matter.

Best wishes,

David.
    As above! They are not in a position to make statements like that. Speak with the doctor directly and ignore the bimbos who sit behind the counter full of themselves with a mug of tea grasped tightly in their mitts as if their life depends on it.

My understanding is that the police are only allowed to ask for factual information regarding your medical condition. They are not allowed to ask your GP for a "yes he's fit/no he's not" type statement.

Totally agree. Doctors will say "but we can't tell you who is going to snap, and past mental illness is not a good predictor either of future propensity, or any risk of violence to self or others" and refuse to say "yes he's safe" or "no he's not".