Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would you most like to go for a pint with ?

Who would you most like to go for a pint with ?

We were talking about this subject last night . I came up with Jackie Charlton (footballer and sportsman) It would be great to hear of his football and sporting stories (especially when he got Arthur Cadman stuck in the mud on the Solway.

Chill

Go back in history - then Jim Baxter and discuss what his thoughts were when he played in that game against England in '67

Currently - any of the competitors from the Invictus games - huge respect for what they have achieved and I'd like to buy them all a drink!

Ed

for many of us it would be our dad...

SD Regular
    Thank you Paul. There's a truth in that. Although it would be gin not beer. For many reasons too personal to publish here.

Although, on reflection, tea and pink wafer biscuits with my mother would be my choice.

My father? Actually, no, I don't think I could be bothered to give him the time of day. So I'll pass on it..
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-05-2016 at 12:59.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    We were talking about this subject last night . I came up with Jackie Charlton (footballer and sportsman) It would be great to hear of his football and sporting stories (especially when he got Arthur Cadman stuck in the mud on the Solway.

Chill
    Actually had a pint with Jack Charlton in the bar of Healy's Hotel, Pontoon County Mayo in July 1998. We were both there fishing.

He was great crack.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    plus 1 on that Paul.

footballer
    fly fisherman like I have never seen since.
    whiskey distiller
    cooper
    fly tier
    craftsman in all respect,

just like all our dads.....simply the best,

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

You're right there Paul,
    My father used to drag me out of bed at alsorts of hours to go ferreting, then later I had to run around the village to deliver the prepared rabbits at 1/6d each.
    Then he would take me beating, not him, just me, he was one of the guns.
    Then it was mow the lawn while I'm out, dig some spuds for your mother, feed the chickens/ferrets/dogs, glad you're off school now you can help with the milking, etc etc, I just couldn't get away from home quick enough.
    When the Army called I jumped at the chance and left home at 19.
    I came home now and again but not very often due to postings and by the time I realised that I was, what I was, because of him I was very proud so when I did come back to UK and had the chance to visit he was too old to really enjoy my company.
    He died when I was in Germany and didn't get the chance to see him again as I only managed to get back in time for his funeral, the Army wasn't quite like it is today.
    Yes, I am doing, or have done, things I know he would have been proud of and I would liked to have shared with him.
    A very stern man, very Victorian, we had a large family and that was the reason he ruled us like he did, we didn't realise at the time but boy do I appreciate it now.
    Yes that is the man I would like to go for a pint with - Benjamin Leonard McConnell 1908- 1981 RIP
    Last edited by EMcC; 14-05-2016 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul at Fechan View Post
    Only if you knew who your dad was.

Definitely my Dad. He died when I was nine of a heart attack and I never got to know the man.

Consequently I spend as much time as I can with my son, doing all the things I didn't do with my father.
    Last edited by long_range_rob; 14-05-2016 at 17:12.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

To echo what many others have said, my late Father who died 19 years ago yesterday...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)