Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Primos Trigger Sticks

Problems with Primos Trigger Sticks

I have had a set of Primos Trigger Sticks in the tripod version for approx 8 months, used in all weathers and was happy with them.
    Until they started to jam.
    So took the bottom legs of, found them clogged with a dry rusty coloured deposit. Cleaned them up with WD40, dried, lightly lubricated (petroleum jelly). Working fine again now.

But they clearly are not designed to be maintained.

Does anybody have a schematic for them?

Anybody else had trouble?
    Did you fix yourself or return?

Any issues or advice about what I have done? I am not really sure about the vaseline and the rubber on the foot valves things at the base of the stick.

Dave

No schematic I'm afraid and the official line is that they are a sealed unit and cannot be repaired. I have heard that it they go belly up in less than 12 months you can get them exchanged. Having had a problem with mine I contacted Bushwear who kindly offered a replacement at half price, even though I didn't know where they had been purchased - and they are more than a year old.
    Before writing them off (and being a tight git) I thought I'd have a poke about and see what I could do - mine were not deploying smoothly and making an grinding noise when operated by hand. Despite being a complete mechanical muppet I had a stab at deconstruction and found the process remarkably easy. It's an interesting, simple design that can be serviced by anyone with a modicum of digital dexterity and a basic set of tools. Cleaned the gunk out of all the bearing surfaces and off the various cams, I reassembled the things and they work just fine.

A mate of mine had the same problem with his, but the shop wouldn't take them back, and he couldn't figure out how to fix them himself (he did try, but it didn't help).

Mine have seized up recently striped them and cleaned them ok now mine had done 14 months, they are not good really for being weather resistant

Miyazaki gen 2 stopped deploying after 6 months even though they were thoroughly wiped and dried after use. Would anybody like to describe how they took them apart etc?

Quote Originally Posted by D_H_P View Post

Any issues or advice about what I have done? I am not really sure about the vaseline and the rubber on the foot valves things at the base of the stick.

Dave
    Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly can eat rubber. Silicone grease is the recommended thing to use on "O" rings etc.

Available from plumbers' merchants, eBay etc.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 14-05-2016 at 13:49.

Alan,

thanks, will clean out and re grease with silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by D_H_P View Post
    Alan,

thanks, will clean out and re grease with silicon.
    It will probably perform better with silicone...

On the other hand, you might have invented a digital tripod!

Alan

I've just has a set replaced under warranty although I did pay 12 to send them back. For the first 9 months I was fairly happy with them, after the last stalk I ensured they were dry and stored them in the extended position. It was almost 3 month before I went to use them again and one leg was stuck solid, managed to free it but they would still stick when I was trying to deploy them. I was aware this could be a common problem with the previous version. Luckily they still had a couple of days left on the warranty when I contacted the shop I purchased from them. I also thought it was a sealed unit so didn't attempt to strip them.

Failure to deploy is often cured by resetting the trigger cam inside the handle, remove the handle casing and rewind the cam and rod, as you use the trigger over time it moves so far up that it is not pressing the leg controller hence failure to work. I do it about once every 9 months and it takes about 15 minutes even with my sausage like fingers. Cleaning the leg cams aslo helps smoote operation.
    TonyC