Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new low magnification scope - have I been ripped off?

My new low magnification scope - have I been ripped off?

Hi guys,

So I was in the market for a low magnification scope and I decided to go for a second hand Zeiss diavari 1.5-6x42 that I bought through a shop mail order. I paid 600 for it delivered. It was advertised as 97% condition and I phoned to talk about it and specifically questioned whether it was optically perfect. All sounded good so I went for it.

I received it today and whilst it's a bit more beat up than I was expecting and the tube is a bit mangled from previous mounting and I can live with that, it's got a small scratch on the objective lens and on magnification of less than 4 there is a couple of specks that you can see which must be internal.

I can probably live with it as it is, as I'm sure it performs fine and the image quality is superb. and normally I should think the scope will spend most of the time on 4x in the woods or 6x in the fields so wont matter anyway as wont see the specks.

However I guess my question is what it this scope worth and have I been ripped off given the condition of it or is it actually still not a bad buy in which case I'll just keep it. I have the option to send it back for a refund. I've put a few pics in bellow.

Starting to wonder whether I'd of been better off just buying a new docter for the same money from Uttings??!!

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	70119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1672.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	70120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	70121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1674.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	70122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	70123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1676.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	70124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1677.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	70125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1678.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	70126

On a side note - those mounts are warne medium mounts that I have had by fixed 8 x 56 mounted on. Whilst I will be able to got to low mounts (I'll probably have to grind bolt handle down a bit), it's not as big a win in terms of cheek weld as some might think as the big scope reaches the objective lens out past the thickening in the barrell if that makes sense.

Id send it back ive seen better scopes on this site for sale for the same money
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

The 'West Germany' is a bit of a clue to it's age as well....

I'm pretty sure I've seen similar scopes for sale for a good bit less than 600.

It would be winging it's way back already, I would be shopping with Gregor @ Tain.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It sounds to me as if your not really happy with it and 600 is a lot of money to pay for something you have doubts about. Looking at the photos I think that the scope clearly is not in the 97% condition that you were led to believe.

I would personally ask for a refund and look around for something in better condition for that kind of money. I am sure that had the seller accurately described the true condition of the scope, you would either not have bought it or would possibly have offered a lot less for it.

Regards
    Paul.
    Last edited by paultap; 14-05-2016 at 16:13.

I would agree with previous posts, if it is a reputable shop then I am sure you shouldn't have a problem, I might be inclined NOT to mention that you have mounted it as they may use that as a 'get out'. The mark on the objective lens would of course be out of focus, I shot weddings for five years on a camera with quite a bad scratch on the objective lens and never had a problem it is not in the focal plane. The enclosures I would be more worried about it could advent the start of mildew then that would be the rocky path. Send it back and try again, Emma Custom up North are very good on s/h scopes as are Ivythorn Sporting in Somerset.

Just for illustrative purposes, here is a scope of similar quality and specs for almost 170 less (and it comes with a free rifle too).

Riffel, 243W BSA/ Schmidt Køb og Salg af Nyt og Brugt

Likewise for illustration of you are not fixed (no pun) then this is a 2-8 new from Sportsman, I have no financial involvement in any vendor mentioned.

Buy Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 Ret. 06 Non Illuminated Online. Only £607.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC

SD Regular
    I think you've paid a goodly amount...but...here's the point.

Did you not, regardless of Distance Selling Regulations, buy it on a happy or return less postage basis?

Like other here I've bought from Gregor at Macleod's and never had a problem.

BTW...I reckon your 'scope was in one of Holt's recent sales...I do recall something similar.

IMHO the thing's 450 tops. But paying over the odds isn't a reasonable cause to get a refund. It's a question of 97%...and to me 97% means "as near new" if not even "like new". It doesn't mean scratched...or ring marked...that's 85% and down.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-05-2016 at 20:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdogpippin View Post
    Likewise for illustration of you are not fixed (no pun) then this is a 2-8 new from Sportsman, I have no financial involvement in any vendor mentioned.

Buy Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 Ret. 06 Non Illuminated Online. Only £607.99 - The Sportsman Gun Centre | SGC
    There's aworld of difference between a Duralyt and a Diavari.
    Out of interest what would be the new cost of a Diavari be if the model hasn't been discontinued?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.