Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalities of a range day at Bisley

Legalities of a range day at Bisley

Yes, I know it's an old chestnut but here goes....

I've booked myself onto a BASC range day in a couple of months time and I'm worrying about the legalities; I'd like to hear the collective view.
    I've an open FAC conditioned for deer, aolq and for zeroing. I want to try out my rifle at known ranges greater than 100m using home-loaded, expanding ammo. This seems acceptable to me under the definition of "zeroing". Am I right in my thinking? When does it become "target shooting" with the requirement for the appropriate variation?
    CH

It's an interesting question. The latest HO Guide, although it words it very badly, seems to suggest that anyone with a quarry condition should now have something along the lines 'zeroing and practice' in place of just the 'zeroing' most of us have at present.

Given the wording of most 'discretionary' FAC conditions, and the principle that in law that which is not prohibited is permitted, it seems unlikely that the police or CPS could make anything of a quarry-shooting-conditioned FAC-holder doing some shooting on a range for whatever purpose.
    Also keep in mind that 'target shooting' means 'shooting at targets', and 'target practice' is 'the practice of shooting at targets' -i.e. they are the same thing.

If you're a member of one of the Organisations it might be worth enquiring there.

SD Regular
    In one sense everything you shoot at is a 'target'. But target shooting is like defining fox hunting...or an elephant. Everyone recognises it for what it is when they see it even though it's hard to express in words.

I'd consider a group is minimum, for zeroing, of five rounds. So five rounds at each distance would be a minimum. Target shooting is IMHO when you shoot not for GROUP but for SCORE. So shooting five rounds, adjusting sights, shooting another group, adjusting again, another five rounds is still zeroing.

But even just five rounds, with another firer on the point, where shots are SCORED is target shooting. Especially if there's ten, twenty firers is target shooting. So if scores are kept IMHO it's target shooting if ALL that is recorded is point of impact (and sight settings) is zeroing.

In regards to the title.. to shoot at bisley or on any MOD range, UNSUPERVISED, one must be in possession of a 'Safe Shooter Certification Card' which can only be obtained by being a member of a club and going through their training course or by being a member of the NRA and going through their training course. Either way you are going to have to do a probationary period etc. etc.

If you don't have a SSCC then you will need to be directly supervised by someone who does. I would have said that technically, you are only 'target shooting' in this respect if you are competing, otherwise, you are zeroing and/or practising, which can only be commended and I really can't see the authorities having any issue whatsoever. Start entering the Imperial and you may have a problem!! Just because it is a target shooting range doesn't mean you can't zero on it.

Your biggest issue is going to be actually being allowed to shoot at Bisley without the correct certs and affiliations.

If it is the BASC range day you are talking about shooting at Bisley then the organisers will have the necessary certs and they will ensure that those shooting without SSCCs are duly supervised.
    Last edited by Vipa; 15-05-2016 at 20:36.

Gentlemen, thanks for your replies, I think they pretty much confirm in my mind that it's all above board; I'm going to be using a range for target practice, there'll be no scoring and it's not competitive in any way. It is a BASC-organised event and as far as I know, they will provide supervision.
    I'll probably check with my FEO to be sure.
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    Gentlemen, thanks for your replies, I think they pretty much confirm in my mind that it's all above board; I'm going to be using a range for target practice, there'll be no scoring and it's not competitive in any way. It is a BASC-organised event and as far as I know, they will provide supervision.
    I'll probably check with my FEO to be sure.
    CH
    With that extra bit of clarification I really wouldn't bother your FEO... you are doing nothing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    With that extra bit of clarification I really wouldn't bother your FEO... you are doing nothing wrong
    ...and he might say 'no'!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    ...and he might say 'no'!
    Quite, although he does not have the authority to say no.

Ian.

I've got an open FAC I've had for years and I can use any firearm where I have permission for vermin control and zeroing etc.
    I recently joined a rifle / pistol club and have become a fully paid up member. I could check the zero of my firearms on the clubs range as I had their permission, but I was not allowed to use any of my own rifles to shoot practice or competition targets.
    I could only use club firearms until my FAC was varied to include : for the use on home office approved ranges.

So glad I don't go to ranges.....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....