Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone the bl**dy crows

Stone the bl**dy crows

Right, despite thinking it was high time I up gunned and got a .243, the only thing on my mind right now is crows. Crows and jackdaws. Big bouncy flighty noisy things.

From 0416 this morning a pair of them were pounding on our bedroom windows from two sides or marching round the eaves above. I can only assume they were trying to land on the slippery aluminium sills in order to get at the house Martin nests tucked under the eaves.

So I'm at DEFCROW1 and they have to go. I've had little success picking them off with the .22LR by the squirrel (bird) feeders, so I need another plan. The lawn is about 4ac, open with backstops at some angles and not others so I'm thinking I need to draw them in. Off to RFD shortly to seek advice on decoys but I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Redleicester View Post
    Right, despite thinking it was high time I up gunned and got a .243, the only thing on my mind right now is crows. Crows and jackdaws. Big bouncy flighty noisy things.

From 0416 this morning a pair of them were pounding on our bedroom windows from two sides or marching round the eaves above. I can only assume they were trying to land on the slippery aluminium sills in order to get at the house Martin nests tucked under the eaves.

So I'm at DEFCROW1 and they have to go. I've had little success picking them off with the .22LR by the squirrel (bird) feeders, so I need another plan. The lawn is about 4ac, open with backstops at some angles and not others so I'm thinking I need to draw them in. Off to RFD shortly to seek advice on decoys but I'd appreciate any suggestions!

larsen trap......

Dead rabbit on lawn, an open upstairs window and your 22lr should do the trick.

Or better still dead pigeon and pluck some breast fethers off it and scatter arround bait, works v well.

D

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    larsen trap......
    The ruddy badgers destroyed mine. Good call though.

One down off the .22LR at lunchtime, now left out to see if others are interested.

letter box trap, catches all crows alive easy to build and once they are inside................goodnight with the air rifle.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

2nd sikamalc- letterbox or ladder trap job done

Ironside

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside46 View Post
    Letterbox or ladder trap.
    +1

I supplement with a couple of Larsen mates. They will catch birds that come to inspect the main trap. ("I'll just perch here and figure out what that big new thing is... what the ***!" Oh.) after which they can be put inside the main trap it to "seed" it and draw in others.

Once you have birds in the main trap, the Larsen mates will continue to catch stand-offish birds and add to your tally.

Kill at night if you can to keep other jackdaws unaware of what the trap is for, and be careful not to let any trapped birds slip out when you go in, because the catch numbers will often drop off sharply after an escape (I'm sure the escapees warn their friends and word soon gets round the whole flock).
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

.17hmr can knock them off at 200 yards no problem, quite often the rest of the flock will not move far and you can just push them about the field