Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donor?

Donor?

Just thinking about the types & makes of rifles people choose for projects, I last chose a Sako Finnbear .264 to have re worked, what are the most common or sought after makers / models?, the older Tikka M595's seem to hold attention too.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've got a tikka lsa 65 thats been rebarrelled to .220 swift, a .243 ai built on a sako 75 action and a tikka 595 action waiting to be a .223 ai build. I guess the sako 75 action is one of the most popular ones but along with 5/695 actions are getting harder to come by. Nothing wrong with a remmy action and probably more selection, I do like the Finnish stuff though.

I had a Sako 75 Synthetic Stainless sporter profile in .22-250 rebuilt as a Laminated Varmint 6.5x47mm that was sold due to lack of funds after 60 rounds.

Currently have a Sako 75 Hunter in .243 in my RFD whilst I ponder taking that to 6.5x47mm... Decisions, decisions...!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Currently cogitating on what I could have worked up from my old Sako Finnbear 270 L61, something a little more exotic I wonder?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I don't know how much choice there is on a Long Action. 9.3x62 could be a laugh!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Currently cogitating on what I could have worked up from my old Sako Finnbear 270 L61, something a little more exotic I wonder?
    Found this link really useful for a similar cogitation..... Bolt face diameter and calibers - for easy barrel swaps | The Outdoors Trader
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

The question to me is what makes an action or rifle receiver good to be a donor?

Or if you like what features are ideal in a donor action?

Then which actions come closest to the ideal?

Once a rifle is built and all done it is not a huge difference which action one used. Getting to the dream build is the problem. I had L579, Rem 700, Mauser, Howa and T3 re-barrelled. Did the rest myself. The easiest and most versatile I think is the T3 as one can also later change long or short cartridges, barrel change can be done without altering the bedding. Selection of triggers although the original is perfect, firing pin 3 position safety also available. Stock work is often underestimated and some who chose one of the obsolete actions get long faces when a suitable stock is not available. Accuracy wise I didn't notice much difference between my other semi customs and the T3 recently shot a little over 2" at 500m off the hood of the car.
    edi

35 Whelen sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Found this link really useful for a similar cogitation..... Bolt face diameter and calibers - for easy barrel swaps | The Outdoors Trader

be careful with the above site as my anti virus sytem blocked it