6.5x55 OR .308

Neither!:evil:
They are both 'looping trajectory Mortar Rounds'!:lol:
Get yourself something that shoots fast and flat!:cool:
:stir: And.... let the discussion comence.......:D

6.5x55 obviously !

with careful reloading will knock 7 shades of %$£@ out of a 308 ! it will kill any thing you wish to point it at that i will tell you .

cheers lee

Ahhh, the small and fast fascists have come out to play, bless them :rolleyes:

The .308 and the 6.5 both have much to commend, stable in flight, accurate at a 1000yds if you want to buy a target version, that's of either calibre too!! Great sectional density, wide bullet choice. Personally I do not want one gun for all purposes, I like a calibre that I can take small to medium deer with and a larger one for pigs and bigger deer.

If you were to make me choose between either of the stated calibres, and I don't want to, one gun only, never another calibre, not one, ever, it would be the .308. And I own and use a 6.5x55, and love it dearly. For where I live and what I shoot it's perfect. But given a choice of other calibres, and make me choose just one it would probably be a 7mm-08 or 30-06 or a .300 H&H or a .375 H&H.........No I won't do it, I refuse, I want more rifles not less!!! It's too cruel :(

ft

It kills cleanly, it delivers its energy better, a larger sectional density(calibre) delivers the energy more efficiently, to get a smaller sectional density(calibre) bullet to deliver as efficiently the bullet has to by very frangible and this makes for a damaged carcase, i have had a helova job getting a roe that was hit on the scapula and only had fragments reaching the vitals, this was when we were trying to deliver minimum damage carcases to the dealer, for a better price, we tried that route and qwickly abandoned it.
Sika have loose skin and seem to have a layer of fat under it, when hit with the smaller calibres thay dont leave a very good trail, the skin seems to pull up or tighten and the holes dont line uo so well and its like the entry/exit are covered, i havnt had that problem thith the 308.
I suppose an example would be a knitting needle and a candle the needle hits less resistance and creates a smaller wound chanel, (larger wound chanel = greater blood loss, quicker death) whearas candel strikes larger area has greater resistance and dumps more energy into target.
Variety of bullets, the weight range and variety availible all over the world for the 308 is mind boggling, you can get anything to suite your quarrie.

Dry Powder.

Barry

Used them both a plenty and have to say I didn't get on with the 6.5 x 55. Mainly used for 'roo or pig in Aus, 'roo was ok but the boar could shrug it off sometimes. Out of the two it would have to be the 308 for me, then again I prefer the 30-06, everyday of the year. I would ask whats it goning to be shooting mainly, that could help decide which one.

Back