Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freelander td4

freelander td4

just a quick one chaps clutch has just gone on my old 307 and im thinking about just scapping it and getting somthing else as to be honest it isnt worth that much and ive just come across a td4 freelander on a 04 plate with 118k on the clock what do owners of these think of them ive heard the petrol models are to be avoided but what about the deisels

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    just a quick one chaps clutch has just gone on my old 307 and im thinking about just scapping it and getting somthing else as to be honest it isnt worth that much and ive just come across a td4 freelander on a 04 plate with 118k on the clock what do owners of these think of them ive heard the petrol models are to be avoided but what about the deisels
    Check water ingress into the load area from faulty rear door seal, (nightmare to replace). Open the tool storage area in the load floor and check for water or damp. I could never keep mine dry. Well known design fault. Mine was a Td4 with auto box. Walk away from any petrol ones.
    I had a 53 plate from new and did about 80k. before selling. The engine's a BMW unit and gave me no trouble other than a blocked breather somewhere near the injectors
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

As blaven said the rear doors leak like a sieve I drilled holes in my tool storage area as it would be half full of water. Mine had similar mileage and needed new clutch. You'll besurprised where they will go.

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    Bought mine (TD4) on 97k, Y plate 2001, for 1500 3 years ago - now on 132k apart from service parts I have had to fit a new clutch pedal master cylinder (common 'fault' although one could almost class as a serviceable part as it lasted 110k 119) drivers door central locking unit (15 off ebay), an abs sensor (20) and am about to fit a rear near side window wind assembly (16) - thankfully they now do this as an assembly so you do not have to fiddle around needing 16 fingers to get each bit in place - well worth the extra 7 compared with just the cables and plastic bits.

Did 42mpg when I first bought it, down to 39mpg now.

As per others I have drilled 8mm holes to alleviate the tool box problem - jack is in a plastic tool box inside and not rusting anyway so I live without using it.

I am still on the same set of tyres, which were new when I purchased, but I expect to replace them this summer.

Overall - very reasonable per mile costs with modest off road capability when needed.

Also watch out for turbo wear. But at that mileage It's probably had a replacement.

The Freelander 1 is a great truck, but it has its potential issues. Window regulator cables are mild steel rather than stainless, so this is a known problem. As mentioned, the tailgate seals can leak, but this is most often due to a buildup of crud and a good clean and silicon grease will sort it. If you see a hole drilled through the storage bay floor this was done to empty it of water!

VCUs CAN fail, but it's a couple of hundred quid to replace with a reconditioned one, along with the bearings. Servicing is dead easy, although the TD4 air filter is a sod to get to. Make certain the crankcase breather filter is clean too, as Blaven mentions. The tailgate handle micro-switch can fail too, meaning you can't open the tailgate. There's no internal handle, so the only way to open it is to remove the tailgate trim from inside (I know, I've done it) and release the tailgate lock manually. HDC can have an intermittent issue if the wiring gets damaged, but as this is almost always due to someone messing about with the gear-lever gaiter it's not an inherent fault. Gearboxes have a reputation of being soft, but this is almost certainly due to service intervals being ignored.

The TD4 is the one to go for, but if you find a 1.8 petrol that's had the cylinder head gasket modification done, there's nothing to worry about. It's the same K-series engine that the Rover 214, 216, etc had, and it's a decent enough engine if looked after properly.

My 2004 Td4 went for 2k with 129k on the clock and still drove like new. That was over 4 years ago, and it's still going strong.

All in all, it's a superb truck, with seriously good off-road ability (again, I know. I've done it!)
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Think I'm right in saying the Td4 is the BMW engine, I had one for 6 yrs, covered 50,000 mls with no probs. Sold it to a mate and it's now on 115,000 still sweet as a nut. Should have kept it really but not an off road vehicle.
    Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by white van man View Post
    Think I'm right in saying the Td4 is the BMW engine, I had one for 6 yrs, covered 50,000 mls with no probs. Sold it to a mate and it's now on 115,000 still sweet as a nut. Should have kept it really but not an off road vehicle.
    Steve.
    If it is the same emgine as that used in the Rover 75 then it is indeed a BMW M47 engine in detuned form. The crankcase breather can be an issue as it seems to ahve been missed off the servicing shedule, in the 75 it was, and once they block the engine evacuates it's oil all over the engine and bay. The crankshaft pulley is also prone to failing as it has a damper. A couple of techs worked out a new map for the 75's that takes the engine to 160bhp safely not sure if this wold work on the Freelander. These are discussed fairly often on the MG-Rover forums and i think you will find they have a Landrover section.

Quote Originally Posted by Conure View Post
    If it is the same emgine as that used in the Rover 75 then it is indeed a BMW M47 engine in detuned form. The crankcase breather can be an issue as it seems to ahve been missed off the servicing shedule, in the 75 it was, and once they block the engine evacuates it's oil all over the engine and bay. The crankshaft pulley is also prone to failing as it has a damper. A couple of techs worked out a new map for the 75's that takes the engine to 160bhp safely not sure if this wold work on the Freelander. These are discussed fairly often on the MG-Rover forums and i think you will find they have a Landrover section.

Yup. It blows the oil out of the dipstick hole. Leave it long enough and it will contaminate the alternator leading to failure.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. William Blake

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    when I first came to the castle we had one here, but it was soon gone.

about as reliable as a chocolate fire guard with an open fire.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube