Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of the 243.

The future of the 243.

Hello all.
    With the popularity of the 6.5 range of rifles forever growing and in some cases, the move to the all round 308 also gaining popularity, will there always be a place for the 243?
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Basil
    there will always be a place for the .243
    infact in time it will become law
    ATB

Hope so I have two of them. If I was advising a newbie I would advise them to go for a .243 everyday. Low recoil, masses of choice (386 on guntrader at moment against 29 ) vast range of ammunition to try without having to handload.

The .243 only got to the number because that was what the Police advised. Use the lowest calibre for shooting deer but for most stalkers they realise there are better calibres that are designed to fire heavy bullets suitable for deer not vermin. If the cops keep pushing for every one to start with a .243 then that's what will happen. Most new people to stalking will take what they are given for fear of not getting anything.

It's a great foxing calibre! After all it was designed as a "varmint" calibre.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

The Police love it due to it being the Minimum calibre and they just love that word minimum when it's applied to anyone else but themselves. So yes it will be around as long as we can owna nd shoot rifles in the UK.

I agree. It's probably the calibre the police are happiest to grant for both deer and for vermin, not to mention the most likely to be granted for 'marginal' patches of land for deer. For people who only want one rifle for vermin and occasional deer it's the obvious choice. It's also very popular in the US for 'varminting' and calibres that are popular in the US are not likely to die out!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Hope so I have two of them. If I was advising a newbie I would advise them to go for a .243 everyday. Low recoil, masses of choice (386 on guntrader at moment against 29 ) vast range of ammunition to try without having to handload.
    Not wishing to stir things up but if 386 people are trying to get rid of .243's doesn't that tell you something?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    Not wishing to stir things up but if 386 people are trying to get rid of .243's doesn't that tell you something?
    Am sure it does, yes.

Am fairly sure however that what it does not mean is that all of those sellers of .243s have lost an animal due to its inability to cleanly drop a deer.

I would imagine for reasons already mentioned its seen as a good starter calibre. Once aquired the owner gets onto the internet and decides that a change of rifle is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberstag View Post
    Is it not just as likely to be because there are a lot in circulation. There are more Fords for sale on Autotrader than Rovers but I know which I'd prefer!