Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Course & Exam Pass Rate

DSC1 Course & Exam Pass Rate

For numerous reasons I have only recently gotten round to doing my DSC1. I bought the BDS training manual and spent a few months on and off looking through it. I didnít attend a course as there werenít any near me so just turned up for the assessment day. I was surprised to hear from the assessor who was marking the course that approx. 1/3 of the people doing the assessment had not passed. He had managed to look through the first couple of papers while we were taking the remaining tests, so I am assuming that by the time he had checked the remaining papers the pass rate might have been worse. Fortunately I had passed but was wondering what people thought of the course and do people expect to pass the DSC1 by just turning up for the course?

Surprise's me that the assessor told anyone that they had failed or passed. It is confidential information and it is up to the assessment centre to assess the results. Not very professional if he is telling candidates on the course that they have passed or failed at the end of the course. If they have failed a section of the course they can retake it within a period of time. Shooting test I think you get 3 attempts. Deer ID you can resit within 24 hours I believe.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by kieran222 View Post
    I was surprised to hear from the assessor who was marking the course that approx. 1/3 of the people doing the assessment had not passed.
    +1

This is confidential information.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Surprise's me that the assessor told anyone that they had failed or passed. It is confidential information and it is up to the assessment centre to assess the results. Not very professional if he is telling candidates on the course that they have passed or failed at the end of the course. If they have failed a section of the course they can retake it within a period of time. Shooting test I think you get 3 attempts. Deer ID you can resit within 24 hours I believe.
    Not quite sure how you differentiate between the assessor and the assessment centre.
    When I sat mine I was told at the end of the day that I had passed and everyone else on the course was also given their result that day. I think from memory that this was given individually, not as a group although everyone started comparing their results anyway.
    Incidentally, the shooting test was the thing that most people failed on which I suppose could be put down to a lack of practice, nerves on the day or a combination of both. I believe that this is the module that most people fail on.
    I did not attend any course before but I did buy the Jelen dvd and did a lot of swotting at home prior to sitting the test.

same here, we were all told at the end of the day, the assessor read out our names with the score for each module, about 4 out of 10 failed I think.

Some years back. YES you were told whether you had passed or not at the end of the course by the assessor. NOW NO. (That was the criteria on the Level 1 course we hosted this April)

You can be given the results of your deer ID as you need 16 out of 20 to pass. Plainly obvious if you have not. As for the multiple choice questions you can be given the answers after the test has been carried out and you will know if you have reached the required amount for a pass.

HOWEVER the assessor is not allowed to tell you whether you have passed or not, that is now left up to the assessment centre to officially confirm, usually within 6 to 8 weeks.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 17-05-2016 at 11:16.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

what does the shooting test comprise of as i am interested in dsc1

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    what does the shooting test comprise of as i am interested in dsc1
    From the DMQ website (http://www.dmq.org.uk/dsc1assessment.htm):

Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

(a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
    (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
    (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).

Its several years since I was involved in DSC1 on a regular basis. It is clearly feasible to simply take the assessment and pass. Numerous experienced persons have done so.

The unhappiest experiences came from those who had not studied the manual at all and relied upon their considerable experience.

Whilst it may be possible to pass the assessment without reading the manual, to do so puts that person at a serious disadvantage and unnecessary risk of failure.

Similarly some very experienced people failed the shooting test, mainly because they had not prepared themselves for taking the shots required to pass.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

thanks nico part one 3 shots in 4inch circlle at 100 what aids are allowed