Thread: Chainsaw Training - Lantra or NPTC?

Chainsaw Training - Lantra or NPTC?

Thinking of doing my chainsaw certificate , been using one for years but never got a certificate , I`m only thinking of doing it to add to my CV , I`ve been told the Lantra ticket is not widely recognised but it is a lot cheaper, not sure whether to go Lantra or NPTC ? your views please.

Nptc doesn't ever expire, Lantra does...... I think after 5 years..... Could be wrong. NPTC is the industry standard on the whole and whilst in am employed capacity you should do a refresher every 5 years it's not s pass fail and normally employers pay for it for you.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I would agree with deerstalker, doubt there is actually much difference in course content but the NPTC is recognised all over and doesn't run out.

On a local estate near to me the old folk on estate used to get all the windblown timber for free if they cut it up, they had to do a chainsaw course done the cheapest (lantra) and forestry company who manages estate woodlands would not recognise it.

Some of the lantra training does not involve testing, that might be why the some companies refuse it. A bit like driving lessons but no test.
    Don't forget the complete chainsaw ticket is made of several units cumulating in multiple windblow. The combined cost for all the units can be a little eye watering

When I started Stump Grinding I was advised to go NPTC rather than LANTRA for the same reason as it doesn't expire. It raises an interesting point though as some of the Deer Qualifications are Lantra awards such as the Deer Managers course and the Humane Dispatch (DVC) course. There doesn't appear to be the requirement for a refresher for either of these. Maybe NPTC is the way forward for deer courses also? Both awards are readily accepted so why the disparity? Surely it can't be profit driven?
    MS

(PS..Stump Grinding is a professional occupation to remove tree stumps and has nothing to do with my user name!)
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 17-05-2016 at 19:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    When I started Stump Grinding I was advised to go NPTC rather than LANTRA for the same reason as it doesn't expire. It raises an interesting point though as some of the Deer Qualifications are Lantra awards such as the Deer Managers course and the Humane Dispatch (DVC) course. There doesn't appear to be the requirement for a refresher for either of these. Maybe NPTC is the way forward for deer courses also? Both awards are readily accepted so why the disparity? Surely it can't be profit driven?
    MS

(PS..Stump Grinding is a professional occupation to remove tree stumps and has nothing to do with my user name!)
    NTPC. Did Lantra course intialy with an employer, changed employers and was told they did not recognize the Lantra award, so did the NPTC as well,as previously stated NPTC does not expire and is more recognized.