Thread: Firearms to Canada

Firearms to Canada

Asking for a buddy of mine.

Immigrating to Canada how easy/difficult is it to import your UK firearms to Canada?

Would you need to surrender them to a RFD in the UK thereafter move to said country and then have them sent over once you have gained a Canadian FAC? Costs involved?

They seem to prohibit moderators over there also?

Anyone with personal experience that could shed some light on the subject?

Many thanks!

He will need to get a Firearms license . It's not a problem to bring firearms into the country , it might require him to have the rifles sent to him after he get's his license . I'll phone the RCMP tomorrow and get the details for you . In short , he can bring his firearms , it's a question of when .
    And yes , moderators are prohibited in Canada . Having one in your possession is punishable by a lengthy prison sentence , even if you don't have a firearm to put it on .

AB

SD Regular
    AB re the moderator issue.

Does that include any weapon "designed or adapted" to be fitted with a moderator? In other words a rifle that's been threaded for one? Does the OP need to have the threads removed, by machining them off, or cut-off?

What of 'scopes with illuminated reticules?

Quote Originally Posted by Basil12 View Post
    Magic thanks!
    Talked with the Mounties today , they're going to email me the relevant info . I'll forward it when I get it . On another track , does your buddy have any family or friends in Canada ? If they have a PAL ( firearms license ) , he can keep them at their residence until he gets his PAL ( possession and acquisition license ) , just a thought . What part of Canada is he moving to ?

AB

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    AB re the moderator issue.

Does that include any weapon "designed or adapted" to be fitted with a moderator? In other words a rifle that's been threaded for one? Does the OP need to have the threads removed, by machining them off, or cut-off?

What of 'scopes with illuminated reticules?
    It's perfectly legal to have a rifle that's threaded for a moderator , like a Savage Hog Hunter . He wouldn't have to remove the threaded portion .
    Illuminated scopes are fine , but shooting after dark is prohibited . Strangely , NV scopes are legal to own and have on your rifle , but it's illegal to shoot past a half hour after sunset . It makes owning a NV scope a little pointless really , but who says firearms law has to make sense .

AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Talked with the Mounties today , they're going to email me the relevant info . I'll forward it when I get it . On another track , does your buddy have any family or friends in Canada ? If they have a PAL ( firearms license ) , he can keep them at their residence until he gets his PAL ( possession and acquisition license ) , just a thought . What part of Canada is he moving to ?

AB
    Thanks for all the info I will send you a PM.

Cheers.