Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please overCaliber for Ruger Precision Rifle

Advice please overCaliber for Ruger Precision Rifle

Considering a Ruger Precision Rifle but confused over which caliber, advice please which is best .308 Win or 6.5mm Creedmoor

The 6.5 has the edge for long range but there's less factory ammo available. It's also a little heavier due to a longer barrel.
    Bear in mind Ruger have already bought out a mk2 version that has addressed some of the mk1 issues. It's worth making sure you get that version.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuk View Post
    The 6.5 has the edge for long range but there's less factory ammo available. It's also a little heavier due to a longer barrel.
    Bear in mind Ruger have already bought out a mk2 version that has addressed some of the mk1 issues. It's worth making sure you get that version.
    You mention mk1 issues, do you have any further details please.

Hand guard was often out of true with the barrel

The bolt shroud was plastic and cheap

the picatinny rail on top of the hand guard fouled some scopes with larger objectives due to the receiver rail being 20moa angled

mk2 has straight hand guards (in theory), no picatinny on the top of the handguard and a metal bolt shroud.

Just to to be clear, many mk1's were fine in terms of handguard and the bolt shroud was fine too (and there are aftermarket replacements)
    if you can view before you buy then either model should be fine.

Main thing above all to check is the crown as there were many reports of some being pretty bad. Again, easy enough to do a visual check at time of purchase.

Give Dan at Tacfire Systems a call. He stocks them and shoots them, very knowledgeable and helpful. He raves about the 6.5 creedmoor. It looked like a 5 shot group in a 5p piece at 100 yards if I recall.

One of the moderators on another fora has written at length on his, an early model in 6.5, don't know if I can mention which as I don't know the moderators very well on here, Guidance please? The reviews have been very positive as you probably know. I applied for a slot for a .260/6.5 as soon as I read them but to date have held off, mostly due to the nause of having to 'fire form' brass to suit the Creedmore chamber. It is becoming more available, I did see somebody selling a hundred factory non shot brass for 95 the other day. There are those that are MUCH more worthy to comment on ballistics but all round the BC of the 6.5 round is seems to deliver a 30% more superior accuracy advantage to .308, there is a trial on the web whereby a tester with complex ballistics programmes shot 100 rounds of both calibres back to back and applied standard deviation norming to the pattern. The advantage is in windage with 30% more rounds on an NRA black area at 600 yds with the 6.5 over the .308 due to the superior BC. One of the guys at the club has one but he is struggling with his home loads to get it consistent, having marked for him in a comp recently I would probably apply the word 'random' at best. I think I will hold off to see what they do secondhand and the availability of reloading sundries.

This is proving to be a most useful source of information, thanks guys

Norman

Here is the link I hope the mods don't mind on here apologies if it is a gaff The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners View topic - Ruger Precision Rifle - Couple of minor gripes

this is more about the rifle than the calibre, which was your original question, but in short, the 6.5 will be more accurate over all distances but more particularly over 600 and in windier conditions. Only you know what you want it for and as Pnuk points out the longer barrel on the 6.5 makes it heavier and probably more awkward in the field.

unless you need to use a bullet over 140grains the the 6.5 rules every time