Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a breed

Choosing a breed

Hi all, as I get more and more into stalking I am thinking about getting a best friend. Excuse my inexperience, it would be great if he could hit a couple of deer with one stone, a great pointer and tracker, but also a good watch dog and must be good around children. I will not use him for game birds. Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful:

Thanks,

Z
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 19-05-2016 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Hi all, as I get more and more into stalking I am thinking about getting a best friend. Excuse my inexperience, it would be great if he could hit a couple of stones, a great pointer and shot-deer finder, but also a good watch dog and must be good around children. I will not use him for game birds. Any suggestions on where to start would be helpful:

Thanks,

Z
    Floodgates are open. Guess which I would recommend

Floodgates? oh no....I thought there were food fights only on the caliber threads!!!!

I'm sure u could search throu previous threads to see some toys out of pram action

Most of the working breeds and plenty of bitsa/heinz/mongrals or even non working breeds will do wot ur after to some degree, just some are more hard work than others and some will be slighlty better/more naturally suited to it. There is no such thing as the perfect breed its just getting 1 to suit u ur stalking/tracking needs and ur lifestyle.
    Most folk think their chosen bred/dog is the best, and it will be for them
    It will mainly come down to training really, if ur a novince trainer/dog owner some breeds are easier than others, but all depends on the specific individual dog really

Not sure how often u stalk but unless ur a full time stalker and even then ur dog will spend more time being a pet than a working dog

Generally speaking the better breeds at actually scent tracking often makes them harder to train/live with as they need to be more stubborn/strong headed, not always the case thou.

HWV. Fits all your needs.Wf1

Hi, personally I love the German wired haired pointers, but I would not recommend as a first time dog, I have witnessed my friends Labrador find deer in some difficult conditions, a good Labrador always seem to make good addition to a family with children and are quite amenable to train. At the end of the day, don't rush into it, and you will have the right dog for a very long time.

Forget which breed & choose an individual dog/bitch for temperament.

gwp any day
    when you stop learning you stop being challenged

i wasn't going to reccommend a breed, but i do think labs are severely underrated, very easy to train and make great pets which ur dog will be 95+% of time.

I have an hpr and probably always will have 1, but would never reccommend 1 to anyone esp a 1st time owner, seen some very very good ones, but the majority are average to poor with a few being a complete nightmare for there owners.
    Some breeds of hpr may be more suited and generally softer natured but the individual varibility in the breed or even between litter siblngs can be massive

Buying any pup can be pot luck wot temperment it has even from woring strain, but u need to be far luckier with an hpr pup

There is probably atleast 6-10 breeds that could be suitable but all have different pro's/cons

labs are easier to train and one of the best deer dogs I have ever seen was a Lab , belonged to a stalker up at carter bar
    no doubt some of you will have seen it as well