Thread: Deleted by User

Pete,

That sounds promising. As far as homeloads go you might want to try between 46 and 48 grns of Vit 140 behind either a 150 grn Gameking or BT. Jon and I have found that load shoots consistently well in a number of Tikkas and Sakos we've had. In fact 48 grns behind a 150 BT won't shoot anything but ragged one hole groups in the Sako he had with him on the Baldock weekend.

I know the Hogues aren't the greatest of stocks but they're cheap and do the job. In a year or so though I may invest in a Bell & Carlson Medallist for my .270. I don't think it'll perform better with the stock but it will look a bit more presentable.

We're planning a trip down to Minsterley soon to do some load developemnt. How are the ranges these days? Was it busy when you went?

Keep us posted on how things develop.

Kind regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1
    Pete,

I know the Hogues aren't the greatest of stocks but they're cheap and do the job. In a year or so though I may invest in a Bell & Carlson Medallist for my .270. I don't think it'll perform better with the stock but it will look a bit more presentable.

Tim
    Hi Tim

I have a B&C Medallist (With full length aluminium chassis) on my Howa, I looked at the Hogue with the aluminium chassis at the IWA and it is some ways it is better than the B&C, IMO.

Best rgds

Thar

Thanks for your input Thar.

I have a Medallist on my Rem 700 7mmRM and like the look and feel, however, that particular rifle doesn't shoot any better than it did with the original factory plastic. Personally, I feel that there is little benefit in replacing factory synthetics other than for aesthetic reasons since in my experience they're good enough to provide .75 MOA or better. If you're a bench rest shooter then it may be a different story.

What do you like about the Hogue over the Medallist?

Pete, that's interesting about The Bog. he last few times we've been there we've had the place pretty much to ourselves.

Kind regards,

Tim

So theres no truth in the rumour that Minsterley has gone pop then?

[quote="Tim1"]Thanks for your input Thar.
    What do you like about the Hogue over the Medallist?
    [quote]

Hi Tim

The aluminium chassis on the Hogue looks more sophisticated and lighter. I have the Max-Guard (rubber finish) on my B&C but the Hogue rubber coating looks more durable.

The only thing I canít comment on is how they compare with controlling felt recoil, I know that the B&C stock improved it considerably over the old standard Howa plastic stock, some of that could be down to it weighing a bit more though.

Best rgds

Thar

Thanks Thar.

I haven't bothered to shoot my Howa .270 without the mod yet but I was surprised at the level of recoil when modded. I feel it's certainly more than my brother's Sako .308 and the weights are roughly the same. I feel that my 7mm RM with the Medallist fitted would be more comfortable to shoot than the .270 Howa Hogue unmodded.

Regards,

Tim