Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring the Highlands.

Touring the Highlands.

I recently took the plunge and invested in a VW campervan.

In September we intend to have a tour of the Highlands as the furthest we have been is Inverness. The intention is to visit Bempton Cliffs to photograph the Gannets then onto Dundee where Sheila has relatives then onto Inverness. We will end up coming back down the West Coast but I`m looking for some scenic places to visit on our tour. I`m not so much bothered about towns and villages as I prefer the wilderness and the wildlife.
    Any suggestions please?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Sutherland - Clachtoll beach, Achmelvich beach, Stoer lighthouse and walk over to the old man of stoer which I've climbed! (good birding) - these have camping areas.
    Morar, on the road to the isles on the way to Mallaig - and have a walk on the silver sands with views to Eigg and Rum. Stop off at the fish shop in Mallaig if you like langoustines etc.
    Trip out for the day to Handa island if you like birdwatching. Check the sea state, when we went a while back the boatman had drowned in bad weather the day before. Ferry was cancelled......
    Far north west, Durness, visit the chocolate shop at the old RAF base for a coffee and then onto Balnakeil beach with a walk onto the headland.
    Head east to Smoo cave......

How long have you got!
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    Sutherland - Clachtoll beach, Achmelvich beach, Stoer lighthouse and walk over to the old man of stoer which I've climbed! (good birding) - these have camping areas.
    Morar, on the road to the isles on the way to Mallaig - and have a walk on the silver sands with views to Eigg and Rum. Stop off at the fish shop in Mallaig if you like langoustines etc.
    Trip out for the day to Handa island if you like birdwatching. Check the sea state, when we went a while back the boatman had drowned in bad weather the day before. Ferry was cancelled......
    Far north west, Durness, visit the chocolate shop at the old RAF base for a coffee and then onto Balnakeil beach with a walk onto the headland.
    Head east to Smoo cave......

How long have you got!
    About 8 days touring, one thing I should have mentioned is that I`d like to get some photos of Eagles.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Ferry to Mull - sea eagles, otters, golden eagles practically guaranteed? Outbound oban to craignure then a ferry north so you don't backtrack - inexpensive and quick. Tobermory - one of the most photogenic villages and brilliant fish and chip van at the harbour.

Kinlochewe to shieldaig, through torridon past spectacular scenery - loch maree, liatach, glen torridon.

Over the bealach na ba to Applecross - stop at the pub for the best seafood and ale (overnight stop here?)

Over the bridge to skye - if the weather is clear.

You need more time Basil......

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    About 8 days touring, one thing I should have mentioned is that I`d like to get some photos of Eagles.
    Do the round tour of Skye then. Absolutely breathtaking scenery. Scotland's largest population of Golden Eagles (30 pairs I think) plus Sea Eagles.

PS Bloody inconsiderate to cancel the Handa ferry just because the boatman had drowned? (jeez!!!)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Ferry to Mull - sea eagles, otters, golden eagles practically guaranteed? Outbound oban to craignure then a ferry north so you don't backtrack - inexpensive and quick. Tobermory - one of the most photogenic villages and brilliant fish and chip van at the harbour.

Kinlochewe to shieldaig, through torridon past spectacular scenery - loch maree, liatach, glen torridon.

Over the bealach na ba to Applecross - stop at the pub for the best seafood and ale (overnight stop here?)

Over the bridge to skye - if the weather is clear.

You need more time Basil......

+1 on this

PS the old veedub shaggin-wagon doesn't look half bad either!
    Brings back fond memories..,,

Just to be sure.

Oh !! My .

Strictly for travelling, sleeping and cooking only ....

Sound like Jock has it mapped out for you. Dont forget the midge repelent they will still be around in September and enjoy your holiday.john