Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good quality tweed stalking / shooting suit

Good quality tweed stalking / shooting suit

Any suggestions on where to purchase the above.

I am am looking for something decent that will last. Where do the big Scottish estates get their gillies / keepers kitted out.

I had heard that Haggarts used to be good but they don't seem to be doing anything much now.

good quality ones tear and rip same as the cheaper ones you won't beat Bob parrett for price admitted not the quality of a 500+ suit but I get a couple of seasons out of the breeks and sometimes more out of the waistcoat and jacket .
    Norma

Sutherland Sporting Lairg. Great stuff and good service. Wf1

Good quality tweed stalking / shooting suit

Hoggs of Fife good quality & value gear

There is a lady in Tarland who does tweed tailoring & does suits etc , meant to be very good from what I heard , can't remember name tho

Paul

Brocklehurst of Bakewell would get my vote, John will measure you up and it will fit like a glove.

Other than that there is Isaac Waltons and Carters Countrywear that I've also had decent stuff from.

Paratts is all vert well but they only make the silly short breeks so i can't really comment as i have never actually tried them

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Sutherland Sporting Lairg. Great stuff and good service. Wf1
    +1. Rubin in Louth is another great tailor and Carters of Helmsley likewise, both will make you a suit out of any hardwearing tweed you like and at a reasonable cost.

Have a think about Alexander James - English Country Clothing

If you don't want to fork out for a bespoke suit, you can get their standard styles and sizes made in whichever of their vast choice of cloth takes your fancy, and they'll tweak for a proper fit.
    Worth a visit, if you're up this way some time.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    +1. Rubin in Louth is another great tailor and Carters of Helmsley likewise, both will make you a suit out of any hardwearing tweed you like and at a reasonable cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Have a think about Alexander James - English Country Clothing

If you don't want to fork out for a bespoke suit, you can get their standard styles and sizes made in whichever of their vast choice of cloth takes your fancy, and they'll tweak for a proper fit.
    Worth a visit, if you're up this way some time.
    How people differ!!!! I've been getting estate suites for 29 seasons and the very worst one came from there!!!
    The best have been from the old Haggarts shop in Aberfeldy, sadly no more, the best I've had since then are from Carter Country in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. Made in West Yorkshire, not China or India like a lot of others, the best quality and fitting tweeds and at the right money.

Thanks for the replies. I now have some good ideas of where to go.

I am am surprised no one has tried to carry the Haggarts name on as they seem to have had a fantastic reputation.

Over the past 50 years I have had shooting suits made by various people, pretty much in the same two tweeds. I used Mankind [later became Brocklehursts!] Carters of Helmsley for my first 2 summer and winter suits both were simply fantastic. I then had suits from various other places, none lasted, stitching came adrift.
    My last three suits were from Carters, Rubens and they have lasted years, a good friend had his suits from Sutherland sporting in Brora tweed, they have lasted well.
    My latest winter suit for Cold weather and stalking was lined with a light weight waterproof breathable lining, well worth it.