Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17hmr split cases

17hmr split cases

After so many horror stories and before i go and get a new hmr,i checked two boxes of hornadays for split necks but couldn,t see anything ,might be a stupid question but would you be able to visually see the split neck as i have never had a problem before.

I have never noticed a split neck before shooting, it is only after you collect up the emptys that you notice a few split necks, it never seems to affect accuracy in my rifle.

I've had a few splits that were big enough to easily see (these ones I didn't fire due to the potential risk of the powder being compromised) some that were just a hairline crack (shot just fine) and the majority were fine. A lot of them were cracked and split after firing but this hasn't seemed to affect the accuracy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I've had a few splits that were big enough to easily see (these ones I didn't fire due to the potential risk of the powder being compromised) some that were just a hairline crack (shot just fine) and the majority were fine. A lot of them were cracked and split after firing but this hasn't seemed to affect the accuracy at all.

What he said!
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

Examine the necks under a magnifying lens. Some cracks are visible without one, but with one you'll find more: if you have a bad batch of ammunition. The problem with the cracks is not that they affect accuracy, or that the case will burst, but that the longer cracked cases are stored between manufacture and firing, the more likely it is that the powder will absorb moisture, degrade and produce a squib round that sticks in the barrel.

Again, this is only a problem if you get frustrated by an unexplained miss, let this distract you from the fact that the round went pop rather than bang, crank in another round, and fire again. From the reports I've read and photos I've seen, doing so will probably wreck your barrel and may cause your magazine to disintegrate, you will also get some gas ejecta. Fortunately, it is very unlikely you will be injured, but I think you are also quite unlikely to want to shoot an HMR again.

If you can live with this sort of thing, I'd advise carrying a cleaning rod wherever you take your HMR, as sooner or later you will need it to get a stuck bullet out of the barrel.

I was lucky enough to notice all my squibs (a grand total of 4), but quickly got tired of all the neck-checking and rod-carrying, so made the most of my HMR still being intact and sold it. I now have a .17 Fireball whose greater performance and guaranteed reliability account for more foxes and vermin and make me happier.

There are undoubtedly members on here who shoot much more HMR ammo than I ever did, have never seen a crack or had a squib, and reckon the HMR is still what it was when it first came out: a brilliant little round (though it's a long way now from being as affordable as it used to be). I am very happy for them, and for anyone who has an everlasting honeymoon with the HMR. My mileage differed, so I offer the above simply from personal experience.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Split cases DO occur pre-firing, though I have found fewer in recent batches.

These pics are of unfired brass from which I have pulled the bullet, to prevent use and examine powder. The powder looked fine.

The bullets are easy to pull because the neck tension is, of course, low.

I haven't had any squibs, ever, but started screening rounds in response to the reported problems.
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 22-05-2016 at 08:42.

Trying to see the headstamp, if they're hornady with blue tipped bullets they are old, not new, stock

I had this problem a couple of years ago, the cases were split and moisture getting in. Luckily I noticed one was still in the bore so no horror stories there. The cases are all made by CCi and I was sent a new batch of 500 which have never been a problem. It's my belief that all the later ones are OK now. Still worth checking though.
    Steve.

The last lot of 1000 federal we bought a couple of years ago had 12% split necks before firing out of the couple of hundred we checked, they all went back to the RFD and we got a refund.

Ian.

You must report it to your local trading standards.It should all be CE marked and clearly from all the serious accidents that have occured it is the only way the issue will get investigated and then resolved. HSE not at all intrested and of course if you return it to the supplier just get lost.

D