N150 metering

Ted47

Does anyone else have trouble throwing N150? All other powders I have used meter great, but last night I resorted to using a dipper.

Any other powders that don't meter too well?

Cheers leon

Which powder thrower are you using, Viht extruded stick powders work pretty well on my Lee Perfect Powder measure and in my Hornady L&L auto dispenser.

Hi Jeff, I have never had trouble before with the LEE powder thrower(N140, H414, RS52, RELOADER 17).

This N150 was even getting stuck in the funnel, just looks really rough.

I have been on the lookout for another thrower.

Worst powder, for me was H4831SC. Stanard long grain metered well. I used an RCBS Uniflow and it's baffle. But I've since sold it and reverted to Lyman's 55 Measure. It has a knocker. Thete's one on our classified forum. Not mine! But they are time proven.

It should look exactly the same as the N140, they're both extruded stick.

It hasn't got damp at some point has it?, I had someone with a similar problem with some N140 they'd bought, it was "decanted" from a bulk supply stored in a rather old cardboard tub, it certainly didn't look as clean and shiny as any of the Viht powders I have.

I'll look into a lyman 55, cheers.

Jeff, it was a brand new sealed 1kg tub, it looks like short fat extruded grains( but slightly rough)

I find it easy to block the funnel with N150 if not swirled against the funnel taper.

Lee perfect measure sometimes feels to chop a grain but easily sheds a bit of Ramshot TAC, need to take it apart I think?

The Viht powders are ok through my hornady auto thingy.
RL19 had massive sticks which seemed to over charge all the time, the Accurate ball powders just dribble all over the place.

Just a thought, your funnel isn't loaded with static is it?
Makes stick powder sticky as sticky things.

Usually I give a few test runs to get rid of static, all other powders are great( other viht is bang on) . Just this N150 just blocks everything. it must just be a bad batch as it looks rough, probably all the bits that have been spilt on the floor that they swept up.

I am unfamiliar with the Lee thrower, is the drop tube replaceable or fixed in place ? N550 & N560 & RL17 used to bind up in my Harrels thrower until I realized that I still had the small drop tube in place. The narrow I.D tube would not allow the powder to escape down the tube quickly enough and the grains would bind. Once I changed the drop tube to the larger I.D, I had no further problems.
I keep a packet of those anti static sheets used in clothes dryers and wipe all plastic parts down before I start loading, works a treat to prevent powder sticking to plastic surfaces.

regards
Mike.

Back