Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foxing

Foxing

Please advise I am on the rocky road of getting a variation,now 222 or 223 and whats the difference?
    Calibers confuse me a bit, is one quieter,than the other (which may be a consideration).
    Cheers Guys.
    Tony.

One is good and the other is better, am biased to the 222, a gentle very accurate round, if its for Foxing then 40 or 50 grains does the job, if you need to go for a heavier bullet maybe 223 offers more but am never going to be with out a triple in the cabinet.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Please advise I am on the rocky road of getting a variation,now 222 or 223 and whats the difference?
    Calibers confuse me a bit, is one quieter,than the other (which may be a consideration).
    Cheers Guys.
    Tony.
    hi tony

222 is inherently accurate, loads about and cheap,as,chips to reload, more than enough for foxing, I prefer it to the 223. 50 grain bullet will,run out to 250 yards no issues,

223. same as above cheap ammo etc, just not my thing had one many many years ago but if I had to choose one it would be the 222.

lots more comments to follow but I can't be bothered as there will be experts on both calibres along shortly. so my advice try them both if you can and then you have made the right choice,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

In past times the triple deuce was the benchmark for accuracy, but the .223 aces it purely by the amount of stuff available both rifles and components.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Cheers Guys.
    Tony.
    Just Google the size of the round, the data will be easy to compare....

Robert Bucknell uses a .223 with home loads and a 69gn head.

They will both put a hole in a fox, as for noise then it will make no difference if it is dead.

Miss it under the lamp and you will be chasing it around for a while!!

If you have an area where the foxes are not shot or chased then you will clear up a good amount of them ( assuming you are going at it with some sort of method) quite quickly.

It is like ripples in a pond... they start of close but soon end up quite along way off!

I use a .243 with a 75/95gn rounds because I use it for deer as well as foxes.

If you asked me to choose then it would be .223 for the heaver round out of the two, a fox front on is around 5 inches wide and in a gale of wind then you will need a bit more.

As time goes on you will start to push the limits as that is how things work...

The 22-250 gang account for there share of foxes as well...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by wcog106 View Post
    One is good and the other is better, am biased to the 222, a gentle very accurate round, if its for Foxing then 40 or 50 grains does the job, if you need to go for a heavier bullet maybe 223 offers more but am never going to be with out a triple in the cabinet.
    +1 on the 222. Very accurate, I use mine out to 250 yds with no problem. I've got two, a weihrauch HW60 j ( night vision) and a Blaser ( day scope) both are absolutely faultless and accurate, so easy to get a home load put together if you want a really accurate foxing rifle

I had a browning 223 for a while, went back to the duce I just like the calibre, as a good all rounder with the different ammunition available the 223 is probably better for that, but the 222 is IMO the better calibre

good luck

atb
    phil
    Last edited by philip; 22-05-2016 at 19:53.

No difference in noise and very little in performance. However used .222s are usually quite a bit cheaper than used .223s
    Plenty ammo available for both and both are cheap to reload.
    40 or 50 grain bullets will knock over foxes all day long.
    You should be able to shoot foxes out to around 200-250 yards with a .222 and slightly further with a .223

Cheers

Bruce

Ive had both for what you want it for i dont think you could tell the two apart, .223 has more versitility with bullets. No difference in sound that i noticed.

Good luck

I went for 223 over the 222 bit more velocity it's filled the gap between the 22lr and 6.5x55 most of my shots at night are Less than 200 yards so I find it spot on Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160522_160300.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	663.0 KB 
ID:	704315 SHOT 200 METER GROUP TODAY. 223 home loads

Another vote for the .222, accurate with just about any load , quiet and has a charm that the .223 could never match.