Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proof Loads

Proof Loads

An educatory question more than anything. I was wondering what the proof loads were for particular calibres. I am not sure how true this information is, but for a .577 BP muzzle loading rifle the proof load is 192grn of BP pushing a 724grn bullet. I am more than happy with a 70grn load with a lighter bullet.

The real question is there any verifiable data for proof loads? I'm talking mainly for metallic cartridges rather than BP muzzle loaders. It is purely for personal interest as to what kind of charge my firearms have been subjected to in the proof house.

SD Regular
    Whilst you, now, may not get the exact recipe of powder and charge they are about 65% overload and oiled so as to give maximum back thrust on bolt lugs. IMHO the thing's a make work nonsense in that we don't test new factory fresh crash helmets individually and the charges! An MOT costs what? Walk in, on demand, at the Proof House that's our minimum charge, Sir. Oh...and 50% additional for the on demand!

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    An educatory question more than anything. I was wondering what the proof loads were for particular calibres. I am not sure how true this information is, but for a .577 BP muzzle loading rifle the proof load is 192grn of BP pushing a 724grn bullet. I am more than happy with a 70grn load with a lighter bullet.

The real question is there any verifiable data for proof loads? I'm talking mainly for metallic cartridges rather than BP muzzle loaders. It is purely for personal interest as to what kind of charge my firearms have been subjected to in the proof house.
    I was looking into rebarreling my 223 into 6x45 and phoned up Birmingham Proof House to see whether they held proof rounds for that caliber. They said that they did not, but would proof it provided they were provided with 3 rounds that had 10% more powder than the maximum charge that was likely to be used in the rifle.
    Last edited by Bilbo; 25-05-2016 at 13:56.

Proper CIP (of which we are a member) proof loads are 25% higher pressure.

I do agree with Enfield though. The US has no proof procedure and it's not a problem. If they ever do have problems it can always be traced back to cheap foreign arms or over hot handloads
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

I was under the impression that a proof load was 125% of max pressure ,it is pressure not powder that is measured although the two are obviously linked .

Quote Originally Posted by plumber01 View Post
    I was under the impression that a proof load was 125% of max pressure ,it is pressure not powder that is measured although the two are obviously linked .
    Pressure is the standard. Calling simply for 10% more powder is ludicrous. The difference is that in the UK you proof the weapons. SAAMI just proofs the integrity of the case and loads, setting standards for it's production. Safety of the weapon for factory cartridges is assumed by the manufacturer. ~Muir

So what happens in the case of wildcats? Do they just do a half arsed job and stamp it with proof marks anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    So what happens in the case of wildcats? Do they just do a half arsed job and stamp it with proof marks anyway?
    This illustrates the fallacy of 'proofing' as you guys know it. You can't proof a wildcat. If they indeed asked for a 10% overload of powder, and the round already uses a compressed charge of Powder X, what is the recourse? Many on this site have claimed proofing is a rip off. I tend to agree.~Muir

There was an instance of the London proof house where they stamped .22cf mods with the .30 cal stamp. Bit of a cockup as the hole was smaller than .30.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    Pretty much, "in our (their) experience, a 10% overcharge of powder over the max working load is sufficient to proof wildcats".
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me