Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I stop nearby objects being blurred in scope?

How can I stop nearby objects being blurred in scope?

Would welcome some advice on an issue I have with my scope. I find that if I'm closer than about 70-80 yards to a deer, it becomes blurred. I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x50. I use reading glasses (when reading, not when using scope), but my distance vision is fine. I was wondering if I should get a scope with dioptre adjustment - is that how I can compensate for this? Reason I ask was I was thinking of getting a S & B 8x56, and I don't think it has dioptre adjustment, and if that's what I need in order to ensure nearer objects are not blurred, it rules it out. Hope that's clear, and thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by pazmino; 23-05-2016 at 11:55.

Depth of field is set for the normal shooting range for a scope which with that sort of magnification which would be 80 yards & over. If you want to shoot closer you need a lower magnification scope, either fixed or zoom with low mag facility. I find when I use a zoom scope I usually have it set on 3 or 4 for woodland stalking & that would be sharp from about 15-20 yards. With the scope set to 1.7 it's just about sharp from the end of the barrel to infinity.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 23-05-2016 at 11:45.

Ah, that would make sense - my 3-9x50 is always set to 9!

I thought all scopes came with diopter adjustment, all my lower end ones (Simmonds WTC) did.

Is the reticule blurred or just the target?

If just the target, I agree with the McKenzie's suggestion above, zooming down to a lower magnification sorts it on mine.

Dioptre adjustment is what you do at the ocular end of the scope so that the reticle is in focus for your eye and that should not change as you change magnification.
    Every scope has dioptre adjustment
    If targets below 80 yards are out of focus (the reticle will still be in focus) then there is a parallax issue with the scope.
    The simple solution is to buy a scope with parallax adjustment - either an adjustable object, or, more easy to use, a scope with side focus which goes down to shorter distances that you would likely shoot at - say 10 yards or 25 yards
    Another option is to unscrew the ring holding the objective lens (the big one at the front where the light comes in) and then try to move the lens backwards or forwards. This will change the minimum distance at which the scope will give you a focussed image, but it will invalidate the warranty, so it's up to you if you want to try it or not

Cheers

Bruce

Yes, the reticle's sharp, just the target is blurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I thought all scopes came with diopter adjustment, all my lower end ones (Simmonds WTC) did.

Is the reticule blurred or just the target?

If just the target, I agree with the McKenzie's suggestion above, zooming down to a lower magnification sorts it on mine.

The diopter is purely to help the shooter adjust the focal plane of the ocular lens to the reticle. I too wear reading glasses so have to adjust the diopter by lengthening the focal plane distance by screwing out which effectively magnifies the reticle adjusting for my eye deficiency when not wearing such glasses. If it is your target that is out of focus then you do indeed have to follow the advice given by McKenzie which is correct. If the scope does not have a provision for parallax adjustment, which not only adjusts the 'focus' but also allows for reticle shift over various distances, then near objects will appear out of focus. If you do not have this facility you will indeed have to dial back your magnification until the increased depth of field brings your target into focus. I cannot imagine a scope of any reasonable quality not having some diopter adjustment, parallax adjustment is usually provided by an AO (adjustable objective) facility which enables adjustment of the front (objective lens), these tend to be the cheaper option in any given scope/quality range and then side Parallax which is adjustment by a knob situated on the side of the reticle housing.

On my Photon digital the common trick was to have an objective cap with a smaller hole in it of course that lets less light through but during daylight should not be an issue as just as in photography stepping down the iris increases the field of view (try it with a piece of stiff card first before spending the hard earned)

try before you buy.
    as I get older I notice it gets harder to get a good sight picture
    with some scopes.
    Ideally you want a crystal clear focus from 10 yards to infinity
    so any deer is clearly seen and target area identifiable no matter what the range.
    Parallax adjustment is ok if you have plenty of time to adjust it
    For deer I like to see a clear picture as soon as I get the rifle up.
    Stalking in dense summer woodland, for short range work I will wind down to 3x

Thank you all for the replies, very helpful. I think for now the most sensible thing i can do is experiment with my existing scope by winding it down to 6x or 4x and seeing how that affects depth of field. I have to admit that had never even occurred to me, it's always just stayed on 9x! Then, assuming that sorts the problem, maybe look at getting a 6x42 or similar, rather than an 8x56.

My usual stalking range is 50-120 yards, don't feel comfortable shooting at anything much beyond that.
    Last edited by pazmino; 23-05-2016 at 16:28.