Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler - stainless pins or not ?

Tumbler - stainless pins or not ?

I have a tumbler which has done sterling service. I also have a small ultrasonic cleaner. Both tend to be used when preparing cases. I've been told that if I used stainless steel pins instead of the normal media in the tumbler that I would get better results - as no matter what I seem to try the inside of the cases and the primer pocket always seem to be grubby.
    Has anyone got experience of the stainless pins ? and more importantly, are they worth the money ?

Stainless pins are for wet tumbling and require a different tumbler to a normal dry tumbler using corn cob media or similar. From what I've read, wet tumbling does seem to get better results but the tumblers and pins are a lot more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland lad View Post
    I have a tumbler which has done sterling service. I also have a small ultrasonic cleaner. Both tend to be used when preparing cases. I've been told that if I used stainless steel pins instead of the normal media in the tumbler that I would get better results - as no matter what I seem to try the inside of the cases and the primer pocket always seem to be grubby.
    Has anyone got experience of the stainless pins ? and more importantly, are they worth the money ?
    Stainless pins need to be used 'wet' with detergent and water softener in a rock tumbler type cleaner.. using them in a vibratory tumbler will not work. If you are using them in the correct type of machine then yes, they are very much worth it. Your brass will come out looking like new both inside and out. I couldn't go back to dry tumbling now!

You need one of these... Extreme Rebel 17 Wet Tumbler 220 Volt Kit 1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd
    Last edited by Vipa; 23-05-2016 at 12:51.

For anyone not familiar with the SS wet tumbling system, this is how I do my cases:

Not forgetting the mandatory visual check for stuck pins, I also use a rare earth magnet.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I got far too many pins and beads stuck and it was a total ball ache sifting and rinsing

also had some shiister sell me some pins that were NOT stainless mixed in with my stainless one...cue lots of rust staining and picking of individual pins

I US now
    much simpler and I don't give a toss about a bot of dirt inside

When wet tumbling or ultrasonic, do you use a dehumidifier to dry your brass or pop them in warm oven with the door open?

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    When wet tumbling or ultrasonic, do you use a dehumidifier to dry your brass or pop them in warm oven with the door open?
    I used to put the oven on its lowest setting and leave the brass in there for half an hour then leave it on a teatowel overnight to completely dry..

Then I found the food dehydrator from Lake land for £49... Will dry well over a hundred 308 cases completely in half an hour without overheating them... A very worthwhile investment

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I got far too many pins and beads stuck and it was a total ball ache sifting and rinsing

also had some shiister sell me some pins that were NOT stainless mixed in with my stainless one...cue lots of rust staining and picking of individual pins

I US now
    much simpler and I don't give a toss about a bot of dirt inside
    If you invert the cases WHILE THEY ARE STILL UNDERWATER, the pins run out like a liquid, I have never, ever had a pin stuck in 5 years of using them in both 308 and 6.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    If you invert the cases WHILE THEY ARE STILL UNDERWATER, the pins run out like a liquid, I have never, ever had a pin stuck in 5 years of using them in both 308 and 6.5.
    You are quite right, but a bit more effort is required with .17 and .20 calibre cases. It's still worth it, though.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 24-05-2016 at 12:28. Reason: Correcting predictive text!
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay