Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent gunsmith Nr Bath/Chippenham

Decent gunsmith Nr Bath/Chippenham

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with my 243, well to be more precise I think it's always shot fairly erratically but good enough for deer stalking at reasonable ranges. Now that I've got a 30-06 that is super consistent and accurate, I can assume it wasn't me being a crap shooter and so want to get the accuracy issue addressed with the 243. Basically I'm starting to need this rifle for foxing and I need a 250m capable fox gun and it's not accurate enough for that at the moment.

I've recently noticed a tiny chip on the crown, which may be contributing, but also it's pretty old and I have a suspicion the barrel maybe worn out. I pillar bedded the action a couple of years ago which massively improved and I'm confident it's a good. Oh it's a Musgrave mauser 98 action.

Is there a decent gunsmith in my area that can inspect, borescope, and rebarrell/blueprint(?) if necessary?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a problem with my 243, well to be more precise I think it's always shot fairly erratically but good enough for deer stalking at reasonable ranges. Now that I've got a 30-06 that is super consistent and accurate, I can assume it wasn't me being a crap shooter and so want to get the accuracy issue addressed with the 243. Basically I'm starting to need this rifle for foxing and I need a 250m capable fox gun and it's not accurate enough for that at the moment.

I've recently noticed a tiny chip on the crown, which may be contributing, but also it's pretty old and I have a suspicion the barrel maybe worn out. I pillar bedded the action a couple of years ago which massively improved and I'm confident it's a good. Oh it's a Musgrave mauser 98 action.

Is there a decent gunsmith in my area that can inspect, borescope, and rebarrell/blueprint(?) if necessary?

thanks
    McKillop Engineering not particularly close, but can do all you are asking.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Bob Anderson next to Ladds, Crediton (near Exeter)
    07710 274728

Jimmy Wills Bath - 01225445062

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Hi guys,

thanks
    Hi Kenny
    Unless your Musgrave has sentimental value and you really want to keep it, it will be cheaper buying another rifle rather than a rebarrel
    Last edited by geordieh; 23-05-2016 at 17:52.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    call Neil mckillop

he has a wealth of knowledge on musgraves and knowing Neil he may even have a muzzy barrel on the shelf,

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Another vote for nail McKillop

Hi

Mark Crudgington used to gun-smithing in Bath a few years ago now - not sure where he moved to in the area.
    Someone else in that neck of the woods is sure to know of him........

L

+1 for Jimmy,a great bloke too although a tad eccentric

Martin

Neil Mckillop or Matt at HPS precision rifles in Newent. Both very well regarded.