Thread: PULSAR Quantum XQ 38/50

PULSAR Quantum XQ 38/50

I notice that the XQ range has been announced, has any one had hands on with them yet ? seems to be quite a substantial performance increase over the XD.

http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/th...imaging-scope/

SD Regular
    I don't see any better bolometer sensitivity or refresh rate - they've decreased the start up time on it and changed the focal length to increase the base (and therefore max digital) mag - so FoV is lessened at base, but you should get more punch at distance. Be interesting to see if it's worth the price premium.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

XQ38 is basically the same spec as the XD50 but with better zoom
    i believe there is some resolution upgrade too

The difference between the XQ and the earlier HD and XD thermals is the size of the pixels in the sensor
    The earlier models had a 384x288 sensor with 25 micron pixels, the XQ has a sensor which also has 384x288 pixels but the pixels are smaller, at 17 microns.
    This means that the XQ, with the same lenses as the old models (19, 38 and 50mm) will have higher magnification and therefore longer range than the old models.
    The temperature sensitivity and refresh rate are the same as the old models, so all in all it's a much better product and worth the extra money (esp if you can get one using the group buy from Europe)

Cheers

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    The difference between the XQ and the earlier HD and XD thermals is the size of the pixels in the sensor.
    That is most helpful. Thankyou.

Do you know why they don't use a higher-resolution display. Is it because the sensor image can't sensibly be extrapolated above the 640x480 format used?
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    That is most helpful. Thankyou.

Do you know why they don't use a higher-resolution display. Is it because the sensor image can't sensibly be extrapolated above the 640x480 format used?

In principle there's not much point in displaying the image from a 384x288 pixel sensor on a much higher resolution display.
    In practice however, I've found that displaying the image from a 640x480 thermal sensor on a 7" LCD with 1280x800 resolution does give a much sharper image than the image produced by the same 640x480 sensor on an 800x600 OLED near eye display.

Cheers

Bruce