Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick count on Roe this year awarness of Lyme

Tick count on Roe this year awarness of Lyme

I started my Roe Buck cull later this year in May, and about the same time as last year. So far since last Thursday night with 6 clients over 6 outings we have accounted for 8 Bucks. Very good and 6 very happy clients.

However.............the tick burden is very high on all the deer taken. This is West Sussex and although ticks are found just about everywhere it would not in many peoples opinion be regarded as a hot spot for ticks. So why the post from me?

Well having contracted Lyme some years back it was from an infected tick on my lease in West Sussex. It would appear that as has been reported in a previous post that this year seems to be gearing up for a record year for ticks?

So guys, please be careful. We have already seen some posts regarding potential Lyme. This is not something you want to catch, therefore please be vigilant and if in ANY doubt about a bite go and get it checked straight away. Also make sure your dogs are also protected with front line or something similar. Lyme is spreading and can kill you or do permanent damage to parts of the body if not treated correctly.

Be vigilant and spray your hunting clothes with repellent.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Would agree with the above post, but unlike Malc my ground is a tick h ot spot, will get bitten on more outings than not and often multiple bites, normally bitten at the bucks but first bite while at the does in March this year which is a lot earlier than I would usually expect.

Just been confirmed as having contracted Lyme disease for the second time previously had it in 1995.
    While I would agree with Malc on going to the doctor if you have any symptoms , but don't run to the doctor just because you have been bitten doctor is unlikely to give you antibiotics or do a blood test until you are showing some symptoms,know for a fact my medical practice
    wants to see you immediately if you have any suspicious symptoms, but they certainly don't want to see you if you have been bitten and are showing no signs.
    I have read post where people recommend demanding antibiotics as a precaution if bitten, certainly won't cut ice in my medical centre,but if you are showing any symptoms you will get prompt and professional treatment.

Regarding repellents am I the only one who is wary of the long term effects of things like permethrin which some studies has found to be carcinogenic.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 24-05-2016 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Regarding repellents am I the only one who is wary of the long term effects of things like perethrim which has been found to be carcinogenic.
    I'm also very wary of permethrin etc and won't use any chemicals.

I had 15 ticks on me on Saturday - I just ensure that after being out in the forest I make sure they're all removed when I get home , not worth worrying any further.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I'm also very wary of permethrin etc and won't use any chemicals.

I had 15 ticks on me on Saturday - I just ensure that after being out in the forest I make sure they're all removed when I get home , not worth worrying any further.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    +1
    Hope you're able to get rid of the Lyme quickly. I know somebody who had it for years - not nice.

just ordered rovince clothing my pals had a week in inverness with no ticks on himself at all while wearing rovince trousers shirt and socks
    they handled a fare few bucks so I'd have expected some creepys but none
    Norma
    hope anyone with Lyme's gets well quickly

Trying Rovince too. Friend of mine says it is effective.
    One buck in Argyll last week . 7 ticks. I reckon the Rovince is worth a go. I read however that a mixture of two parts vinegar to one part water scooshed on with a hand sprayer is quite effective.
    I have also ordered the Permethrin.
    Mad?

My land in Surrey is infested with ticks, used to get as many as 15 on me in one outing.
    Never had one on me since i'm using this : Ben's 100 Insect Repellent Spray 37ml

Two nights ago they even had a report about Lyme disease on the local southern news. It appears there was a rally outside parliament this week with people diagnosed with Lyme and wanting more action from the National Health service.

It would appear Lyme disease is really becoming a problem, and not just for stalkers either.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootgun View Post
    My land in Surrey is infested with ticks, used to get as many as 15 on me in one outing.
    Never had one on me since i'm using this : Ben's 100 Insect Repellent Spray 37ml

That looks promising. How strongly does it smell? I find that some repellents (e.g. Jungle Formula) are very strong smelling and although effective on insects repel deer as well.