Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: New house - Open Cert, can i shoot in my paddock?

  1. #1

    New house - Open Cert, can i shoot in my paddock?

    Hi guys,

    So, I'm about to move house and was hoping to set up a practice range (100 yards) in the back field.

    I have an open cert and the property (1.7acres) is surrounded by fields.

    The land is flat and i would be looking at building a suitable backstop out of earth. I'll put more thought into this when i move in. I deem the land to be safe to shoot on as there are no public footpaths and the nearest neighbour is over 100m away followed by a few more at 300m. (It's the countryside)

    In the direction i would be shooting there is nothing until 1km away, and that includes if i happen to shoot left or right by over 45degrees.

    I deem it safe, and other than potentially upsetting my local neighbours can anyone offer advice for whom has set up the same. I'd likely meet them first and explain to them if they hear any shots coming from my direction it's just me and to not be alarmed. I would obviously ensure that i keep them happy.

    Many thanks

    P.s. The range would only be used for zero checking before i go out or for quickly testing home loads, not everyday shooting.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    I deem it safe
    Thereby fulfilling the requirements of an open cert

    As long as you're not in any breach of your title deeds then the land is yours to do with as you please, I'd have thought?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

  3. #3
    All the things that you have put in your original post clearly show you have carried out a "risk assesment" and deem it safe, the main hazard you have identified is upsetting neighbours and you have stated how you intend to mitigate that risk by talking to them first.
    as far as I can see you have done everything to the book

  4. #4
    No, because it's not fair on the rest of us who don't have such luxury.

  5. #5
    I guess as you have an open ticket its up to you to decide.
    a slight fly in the ointment may be the fact that you have to construct a backstop in order for it to be safe. Might your fld view that as construction of a range and is that likely to cause an issue?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    No, because it's not fair on the rest of us who don't have such luxury.

    Got a 88yrd one in my garden with a covered fireing point closed ticket but the garden was cleared up to my 6.5mm/.260" cal (only 3/4 acre )

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    I guess as you have an open ticket its up to you to decide.
    a slight fly in the ointment may be the fact that you have to construct a backstop in order for it to be safe. Might your fld view that as construction of a range and is that likely to cause an issue?
    That's an interesting one

    I've just dumped 10 tons of soil at the bottom of one of my fields in order to ensure safety when zeroing and practicing (new wording on my FAC)

    When does good safety practice merge into constructing a range??

  8. #8
    The most outstanding issue is with your neighbours vis a vis disturbance, with the possibility of a visit from an armed response unit, I have had two instances of the arrival of armed units, due to a meddling neighbour.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    The most outstanding issue is with your neighbours vis a vis disturbance, with the possibility of a visit from an armed response unit, I have had two instances of the arrival of armed units, due to a meddling neighbour.
    Sounds painful. I'm hoping that as i'll be in the middle of nowhere i'll have no worries. It's a small village anyway. And i guess people get to know each other.

    What happened when the armed police turned up? Hopefully not 'guns blazing' like they were dealing with a major crime?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    Sounds painful. I'm hoping that as i'll be in the middle of nowhere i'll have no worries. It's a small village anyway. And i guess people get to know each other.

    What happened when the armed police turned up? Hopefully not 'guns blazing' like they were dealing with a major crime?

    No, Just a frank exchange of views on the first visit, followed a week later by a return visit to confirm no further action, second visit they paid more attention to the rifles on ticket & what we shoot with them & how often,( think they were angling for a burger or summat!)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 19:18
  2. Devon and Cornwall Police - Open Cert Query
    By Leopoldo in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-11-2015, 20:25
  3. Help on open closed cert conditions please
    By Chasey in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18-07-2015, 13:48
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 00:24
  5. Open cert
    By bongo in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2013, 21:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •