Thread: First Fawn Spotted On My Permission

First Fawn Spotted On My Permission

I was out yesterday installing a trail camera when I came across this little guy. He / she was in a ditch, but mum was nearby and keeping a close eye on things. My dog sat beautifully as I quickly took a photo and backed away. Soon after, the fawn trotted to its mother and the pair of them moved off through the woods. Having had a barn owl land on a branch just above me the night before, I feel privileged to have seen such wonderful sights. As we all know, it's not just about shooting things!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	70494

Beautiful pic. Thanks.

Was lucky enough to see my first Sika calf with hind at about 15m on Saturday.

Beat you to it, my first one this year was the night before last. Trouble is they're all getting warmed up to cut silage round here in the next week so there'll be plenty mown down sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Beat you to it, my first one this year was the night before last. Trouble is they're all getting warmed up to cut silage round here in the next week so there'll be plenty mown down sadly.
    interesting. 2 weeks ago for me here and am guessing kid was at least 10 days old then. Steady on legs. Gambolling c 70 yards from mum and still see spotty. But not fazed and v confident. Just a single so well fed and not sharing milk with a twin which will help development

Silage is imminent here, too, so I hope the fawns are safe. I know one fawn fell foul as the keeper prepared a game crop last week. I also saw two does last night that were heavily pregnant. Some roe are still in winter coat, some in summer. It's an interesting time of year!

I have never seen a new born roe kid/ Intresting note most of my roe both bucks and does still in winter coats aalthough last night saw 3 does all in transition more summer than winter. Does still look as if they are about to bust.

D

Saw first pair of kids last night while waiting for a vixen to show.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Just got in from a bonus outing. No bucks around, but I did watch a doe with twins and it was worth being out, just for that. The icing on the cake, however, was watching a Peregrine patrolling above the wood. Truly amazing. The tree creeper right behind me was nice, too.