Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I do the "right thing"?

Did I do the "right thing"?

I turned down my first potential deer permission

I've been a member of this site for a long time now, have passed my DSC1, and have been on a number of outings courtesy of generous SD members. But I've yet to down my first deer.

I was talking to another landowner recently, who happened to mention that he owned a fair bit of ground near ---------.
    Knowing that area to be pretty "deery" I popped the inevitable question.
    Yes, he replied, it's absolutely overrun with deer, and he'd be delighted if I'd carry out the necessary culling for him... As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line..........

At this point I politely withdrew.

Did I do the "Right Thing"? It's a cut-throat world out there....

There's a fairly high chance that the other stalker is an SD member. One day I'll find out who you are, and when I do you can buy me a pint. Or two.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post

I've been a member of this site for a long time now, have passed my DSC1, and have been on a number of outings courtesy of generous SD members. But I've yet to down my first deer.

I was talking to another landowner recently, who happened to mention that he owned a fair bit of ground near ---------.
    Yes, he replied, it's absolutely overrun with deer, and he'd be delighted if I'd carry out the necessary culling for him... As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line..........

There's a fairly high chance that the other stalker is an SD member. One day I'll find out who you are, and when I do you can buy me a pint. Or two.
    If he's got a large amount of land could you not share the land????

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post

Action This Day is what Churchill had stamped on his most important stuff....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    If he's got a large amount of land could you not share the land????
    It's not a huge piece of ground, but very well situated.
    It would appear that the other chap has already teamed up with a few mates to do the agreed culling.

YES !! you did the right thing
    Cut throat maybe but your not in that club well done and if the other guy can't do the job long term you may then get your chance .

Yes you did do the right thing. Walk away head held high. You never no, leave your name and contact details with the said land owner, if the other chap does not live up to task in hand this land owner may well be on the phone to you. And remember you got asked to do it, circumstances did not work out this time but next time you may well get what your hoping for. I wish you you all the best in the future.
    Last edited by 270rem; 26-05-2016 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    YES !! you did the right thing
    Cut throat maybe but your not in that club well done and if the other guy can't do the job long term you may then get your chance .
    +1

Hard decision for anyone Tim ,all that at a time when people are crying out for a perm but you have one heck of a busy life looking after all your sheep and animals .I would imagine you wouldn,t want to let anyone down and when lambing or shearing that,s your priority so fair play to you for this difficult choice .You did the wright thing in your case youv,e got 1 busy lifestyle and only 1 pair of hands .
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Yes - the right thing.

The bane of my shooting life is fending off overbearing syndicates, other stalkers who know damn well it's your permission, sub-letting gamekeepers etc etc

You will know when the right one comes up
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

You sound like the sort of guy that every syndicate should be made up of.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!