Did I do the "right thing"?

VSS

I turned down my first potential deer permission :cry:

I've been a member of this site for a long time now, have passed my DSC1, and have been on a number of outings courtesy of generous SD members. But I've yet to down my first deer.

I was talking to another landowner recently, who happened to mention that he owned a fair bit of ground near ---------.
Knowing that area to be pretty "deery" I popped the inevitable question.
Yes, he replied, it's absolutely overrun with deer, and he'd be delighted if I'd carry out the necessary culling for him... As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line..........

At this point I politely withdrew.

Did I do the "Right Thing"? It's a cut-throat world out there....

There's a fairly high chance that the other stalker is an SD member. One day I'll find out who you are, and when I do you can buy me a pint. Or two.
;)

I've been a member of this site for a long time now, have passed my DSC1, and have been on a number of outings courtesy of generous SD members. But I've yet to down my first deer.

I was talking to another landowner recently, who happened to mention that he owned a fair bit of ground near ---------.
Yes, he replied, it's absolutely overrun with deer, and he'd be delighted if I'd carry out the necessary culling for him... As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line..........

There's a fairly high chance that the other stalker is an SD member. One day I'll find out who you are, and when I do you can buy me a pint. Or two.
;)
If he's got a large amount of land could you not share the land????

;)

Action This Day is what Churchill had stamped on his most important stuff....

Tim.243

If he's got a large amount of land could you not share the land????

It's not a huge piece of ground, but very well situated.
It would appear that the other chap has already teamed up with a few mates to do the agreed culling.

YES !! you did the right thing
Cut throat maybe but your not in that club well done and if the other guy can't do the job long term you may then get your chance .:thumb:

Yes you did do the right thing. Walk away head held high. You never no, leave your name and contact details with the said land owner, if the other chap does not live up to task in hand this land owner may well be on the phone to you. And remember you got asked to do it, circumstances did not work out this time but next time you may well get what your hoping for. I wish you you all the best in the future.

Last edited:
Hard decision for anyone Tim ,all that at a time when people are crying out for a perm but you have one heck of a busy life looking after all your sheep and animals .I would imagine you wouldn,t want to let anyone down and when lambing or shearing that,s your priority so fair play to you for this difficult choice .You did the wright thing in your case youv,e got 1 busy lifestyle and only 1 pair of hands .

Yes - the right thing.

The bane of my shooting life is fending off overbearing syndicates, other stalkers who know damn well it's your permission, sub-letting gamekeepers etc etc

You will know when the right one comes up

I'd have asked for the other chap's details and got in contact with him. Tell him the situation and explain that you didn't want to step on his toes, but ask if he wanted to work together on it? He may even already have loads of land elsewhere. Shared cost of high seats and work to maintain them is often best shared. Joint visits and a helping hand or just mutual support is an added advantage sometimes in what can be a very lonely pastime. You may even meet a lifelong friend. Your conscience will remain clear either way and there is nothing to lose by asking, but you could definitely gain!;)
MS

Yes you did the right thing. Honesty and integrity are a rare thing in people these days, many wouldn't have given a toss and would have taken the opportunity.

I take me hat off :tiphat: to you.

Yes you did right but don't let it go cold. Drop in details and keep in touch now and again to ensure all is well.
On a similar vein one of my (free) permissions is an organic farmer and initially had reservations about killing the cute deer but a freezer full soon changed his mind. Recently he even contacted me to ask if some other people to shoot was ok. Naturally I said no, as it isn't a massive piece and he respected that. I've always played fair and so he did in return.

So be right with people and they will be right with you, well done :thumb:

"As it happened he'd just agreed (a couple of days before) with another stalker to do it for him, but as the other chap hadn't yet signed on the dotted line.........."

;)

This is obviously an unreliable landowner who is likely to let anybody shoot on his land disregarding any agreements he has with other stalkers, so stay well away, it is asking for trouble. And unsafe.

There is lots of talk on these forums of stalkers 'stealing' each other's permission: Not something I have ever experienced. But I have had my fair share of dealings with unreliable dishonest landowners to whom a promise, 'sole stalking rights' or gentleman's agreement and handshakes mean nothing.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. It certainly felt like the right thing at the time, but of course I couldn't help thinking afterwards about what might have been!

I did consider pursuing a sharing option because despite my lack of experience I think I have quite a lot to offer to an arrangement of that kind (own rifle that could be used as estate rifle if required; quad with winch for extraction; 4wd pickup; walk-in chiller; butchery equipment etc etc), but as the other chap already had a few of his mates involved I thought I'd just end up as the unwanted extra.

Just have to hope the landowner comes back to me if things don't work out.

Hello Tim, you were right but keep in touch with the guy because if the current "stalker" doesn't work out you want to be at the head of the queue,

Best wishes,

David.

Tell you what VSS, if you get stuck with some stalking you can come down to my area in West Sussex for a couple of stalks on me this winter on the Fallow. Let me know and the offer is there for you.

Pity there are not more people like you in the stalking world.

Gerneous offer there Malc, VSS, you know you did the right thing, think of how you'd have felt if you were the other party in this, walk away, head held high and be able to sleep at night. Nice to know there are decent folk out there with some moral compass! Well done and good luck getting your own land in due course.

Back