Thread: working up a load

working up a load

I was just thinking about my new toy that is on order and i was wondering, can I work up a load whilst i'm running the barrel in?
    that way i will only need to spend 1 day at the range.

Ezzy

If you insist on "running in" the barrel (a dubious practice from some peoples point of view) then the answer is "Probably not" due to the frequent cleaning that will affect grouping. If you are the kind who just shoots, then you most certainly can.~Muir

My thoughts are if the barrel is made properly it should not require running in. I feel that as seems to be the norm in modern production corners are cut and the lappign which would have been done is now not and that's left to the customer to do now. This does not mean blaze away like yout repellign the Hun at The Somme.

I've had a few new rifles and the only running in procedure I have adopted is to make sure I clean the barrel to make sure there is no grease etc in there and then I shoot it. I have never had any trouble and never had one that was not sub MOA. Just clean it and work up you loads, you will be fine.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Why not compromise?
    1. thoroughly clean new barrel.
    2. fire single shots and clean after each shot whilst establishing your zero.
    3. then work up load using 3 shot groups, cleaning barrel after each group.
    4. now follow your usual load development and cleaning regime.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Why not compromise?
    all sounds like hard work to me !

ive had 3 or 4 new rifles in my time so far and all ive ever done is , clean out the grease / oil from the new barrell , fill the mag and away you go ! then clean the rife after 100 rounds religiously .

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Why not compromise?
    I have found that cleaning wreaks havoc with establishing a zero. JAYB has it right: Clean out the oils and such from the factory and shoot it. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have found that cleaning wreaks havoc with establishing a zero. JAYB has it right: Clean out the oils and such from the factory and shoot it. ~Muir
    exactly!

Lee,
    Running in a new barrel is hard work and I agree that the majority of shooters don't bother.
    I agree with Brithunter that properly made barrels should not need running in.
    My attitude is that if there is any doubt about how well your barrel has been finished then running the barrel in will at worst waste a bit of time and effort but just might do some good that may benefit the next several thousand shots.

All the best with your new rifle.

Andy

Lee,
    Running in a new barrel is hard work and I agree that the majority of shooters don't bother.
    I agree with Brithunter that properly made barrels should not need running in.
    My attitude is that if there is any doubt about how well your barrel has been finished then running the barrel in will at worst waste a bit of time and effort but just might do some good that may benefit the next several thousand shots.

All the best with your new rifle.

Andy
    andy ,

in my opinion each to their own mate ! but i surpose , like you say if you do have and doubt with your barrell it might do it some good !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.