A scope mounting mystery

Bavarianbrit

My smith here in Germany had fitted two 30mm new S&B scopes onto my Win 100 rifle for me using EAW swing off mounts that were ordered from EAW to be specific for this rifle. The rear riser block was 5mm high on both scopes but I could not get the variable 56er to hit the target even with the vertical adjustment bottomed out - but the straight tubed variable scope intended for driven boar was on the button with only two shots.
I was at his workshop yesterday and we went through all the checks and the end result was that we needed a 5.5mm riser for the 56er to be able to hit the bull with the vertical adjustment centralised.
Very strange as 2x the same make 30mm scopes fitted onto identical mounts.
He then fitted a set of EAW mounts onto a new Fabarm bolt action 30-06 while I was there at the shop in just 20 minutes clean all metals then a 2K adhesive plus screwing and adjusting all fits with the bore pin gizmo also this was for 2x scopes a used driven and a new Minox 56er.
Then we went down to the range as we are mates and mine then functioned fine but the new Fabarm he had put the mounts onto was a piece of ***** (the bolt would not close on a round without extreme force, extractor threw emptys way out when and the magazine was 75% of the time unable to be removed without his wiggle/thump skills.
Stay away from this make IMO.
Martin

Martin would that be the Fabarm Iris?
I've seen the Iris for sale in France and quite liked the look of them and how they handled but have never had the opportunity to shoot one. I quite like the way they look even if they do have an alloy receiver. Would love to try one for myself. Was this just a rifle with a fault or is the design and manufacturing flawed.

Is there not alot more adjustment in the lower mag scope. I know that the S&B klassik 3-12 scopes were notorious for running out of adjustment.

Martin would that be the Fabarm Iris?
I've seen the Iris for sale in France and quite liked the look of them and how they handled but have never had the opportunity to shoot one. I quite like the way they look even if they do have an alloy receiver. Would love to try one for myself. Was this just a rifle with a fault or is the design and manufacturing flawed.
Yes the it was the Iris, it looks to me like a design flaw if there is too much pressure being exerted on the base of the case then the CAD designer had got it wrong but this should flag up to the Fabarm managers during the prototype build phase of the rifle. That it went out to a dealer is simply not acceptable, I have heard similar ref the R8 Blaser on quality issues also. They should spend less on advertising and more on research IMO.

Seems every factory rifle needs some bit of tweaking.....and just because it is made in Germany does not mean it will work.
Years back I bought a new Beretta over under, first thing I did was take it completely apart and re-work every part. Lovely smooth gun now. CNC will not take care of everything.
edi

Back