Thread: Getting predictable

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Getting predictable

Well, having ambushed the muntjac several times over the last few days I thought I'd give it another go this morning.

As expected, at around 06:45 the mature buck appeared by the wood on the far side of the cover crop field:

With the dogs tied up I got myself ready and crouched down by the side of the track so that I could follow is progress without being too obvious.

He came nicely across the field almost straight towards me, only scarpering when he finally saw me move.

These are in the exact sequence in which they were taken, so hopefully give an idea of how he progressed across the field.

I also think the demonstrate how (a) drab clothes work as well as any camo, (b) having you hands and face covered reduces the chance of spooking deer, and (c) movement is the enemy of concealment!

Last edited by willie_gunn; 25-05-2016 at 11:00.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Predictably lovely too.

I've just been flicking through the latest copy of Fieldsports magazine & in particular the Leica Fieldsports Photographic competition entries (which are great); we expect you to have something in there next year.

Nice pictures with lovely spot on focus

Nice sharp focus! what kit are you using?

Your photos are just brilliant. It looks like you can see that buck's ribs showing in marked contrast to the podgy doe we shot a few weeks ago.

I have my own creature of habit in my garden now. It used to be occasional, but the same hedgehog now walks into my cage trap for squirrels every time I set it now. In fact yesterday, it walked into in and fell asleep when there was no bait... I think the squirrels have trained the hedgehogs to spring the trap for them. But my trap line is ruined now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Your photos are just brilliant. It looks like you can see that buck's ribs showing in marked contrast to the podgy doe we shot a few weeks ago.

I have my own creature of habit in my garden now. It used to be occasional, but the same hedgehog now walks into my cage trap for squirrels every time I set it now. In fact yesterday, it walked into in and fell asleep when there was no bait... I think the squirrels have trained the hedgehogs to spring the trap for them. But my trap line is ruined now.
    Yes, this buck looks to be in prime condition - pretty much solid muscle I'd say.

How nice that you have a resident hedgehog. We've had one or two in the village but nothing like the numbers there used to be. People tell me it's changes to farming practices, grubbing out hedgerows, and tidy gardens that are the cause of the decline in hedgehog numbers. Strangely none of those have happened in the village where I live, but we do have a lot more mammals wearing black and white coats! Clearly just a coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Nice sharp focus! what kit are you using?
    Thank you - I'm using a Nikon D750 with a 300mm lens and 1.4x teleconverter. So any that are out of focus are not the fault of the kit!