Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Number of shots though a barrel - how many is too many ???

Question Number of shots though a barrel - how many is too many ???

Folks,

I am at the starting stage of looking for a .222.

I have seen a few and one looked promising (Tikka 595) and the seller was honest to say that it had mainly been used for standard factory bench rest competitions. He said that he had shot 2772 rounds though the barrel.

To me that sounded like a lot.....Reason to be wary or not ? He said it would still easily achieve .3" groups.

Any opinion welcome.

Thank you.

I have owned a .222 Tikka M595 for about 7 years.
    It has fired well over 1000 rounds threw it & it still get less than 1" group using Sako 55gr Gamehead.
    Any time i go out for roe or fox this is the first rifle i pick up as i now how accurate it is.

If the one your are looking at still groups well & is going at the right price take it you will not be disappointed.

John

A 222 is not a hot round like a 22/250 or a swift. You will be a long time shooting the barrel out. If you like it and the price is right, buy it.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

A 3" group, seems a bit iffy.

A barrel's life isnt gauged on the quantity fired, its on HOW and WHAT bullets are fired effect the life of it.
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 12-06-2010 at 08:09.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post

A barrel's life isnt gauged on the quantity fired, its on HOW and WHAT bullets are fired effect the life of it.
    It shoots.3'' groups Dan not 3'', still I would want it for a good price with that may round through it.

If it shoots, it shoots. The more I get to know about rifles, the more I get to realise there is a strong motivation for certain rifle builders to sell you new barrels. A certain well known Scottish riflemaker told a friend that his rifle (.22PPC) would need re-barreling after 700 rounds. It has done more than three times that now, with no loss of accuracy.

If you can do a deal that's mutally beneficial, buy it.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post

Oh what tosh it's the way it's cared for like how it's cleaned. Cleaning a barrel incorrectly will do more damage than shooting a few rounds through it. Shootign it quickly so the barrel gets excessivly hot will also shorten it's useful life.
    A neglected barrel, one left damp say, will have a very short life as rust will set in and eat it away internally.

Wat are you using it for would be my question. I buy a car 2 year old with 30,000 on the clock, high milage, but I only do 5000 per year. three years later I sell the car 5 years old with only 45000 on the clock, low milage. You buy a rifle 2,700 rounds and put a 100 or so rounds a year and take care of it it would last a lifetime. A benchrest shooter will look for a far higher degree of acuracy than a hunter shooter. To achieve that he will care for his rifle, After that it is gut instinct. My prohunter is accurate but I tend to be suspicious of it. My Sauer feels exactly right. I tried a browning sporter, I fired 20 shots I broke 19 clays. I tried the baretta sporter I broke 20 clays or so and then I halved one and then powderd one of the halves, I then bought the Beretta. The browning was good but the Beretta felt right. Gut instinct. Get behind the rifle and see if it feels right. comfortable and part of you.
    Jim
    Ps Niel Sutherland put up lazy pidgeons to sell guns. I am not that good a shot,

If a rifle can only group 3" under proper zeroing conditions it's not much good. If it's .3 inch then snap it up!!

I am always interested in talk of 'groups', so many times you hear of the elusive 1/2'' group which is actually a 2 1/2'' group when you take out the...'that was the first shot, I never count that one'...'that was a flyer'....'I pulled that one'...'it was windy'.... 'but look, those two are touching!'...

Yesterday I took my Brno .222 rem out just to check it, this is a rifle that I paid 70 for and is, technically, a piece of junk. I fired three shots at 50m, three shots at 100m and three shots at 150m all taking the same point of aim at the same target. Result? Nine holes in a fairly circular group with an extreem spread of 1 3/4''. Good enough for me.

I do this test with all my rifles just to check them. I usually go back to 200m too but didn't have time yesterday. It is a great confidence boost.

JC