Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Los Angeles until September then Hereford

Hello from Los Angeles until September then Hereford

Hello
    My name is Jonathan and I am 28(almost 29) years old. I am occasional shooter and have shot both shotguns and rifles. Though this was mostly my years in Boy Scouts, I also have in my own time with my dad's guns. Though I have not gone on many hunts/stalks(with my dad) but I'm respectful of the behavior and manners involved. In September I'll start living in Hereford for my BA in Artistic Blacksmith and would like to hunt/stalk when possible. I acquired my hunting license here in Los Angeles a few weeks ago since I figured why not now since it will be awhile before I can do any hunting/stalking back in Los Angeles. I'm not sure how that will translate over in the UK(not totally clear online) with having a US license but willing to learn if the need comes up.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar View Post
    Hello
    My name is Jonathan and I am 28(almost 29) years old. I am occasional shooter and have shot both shotguns and rifles. Though this was mostly my years in Boy Scouts, I also have in my own time with my dad's guns. Though I have not gone on many hunts/stalks(with my dad) but I'm respectful of the behavior and manners involved. In September I'll start living in Hereford for my BA in Artistic Blacksmith and would like to hunt/stalk when possible. I acquired my hunting license here in Los Angeles a few weeks ago since I figured why not now since it will be awhile before I can do any hunting/stalking back in Los Angeles. I'm not sure how that will translate over in the UK(not totally clear online) with having a US license but willing to learn if the need comes up.

Jonathan
    The easiest thing to do would be to go with someone and borrow their rifle.

Do you have a rifle that you have a burning desire to bring over to use?

Hi Eddie, ideally I would like to use the one my dad promised me way back when. Though I had to pick which one I wanted and decided a Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard S2 in .270 caliber. I will be able to get that by next month and get it sighted in before I leave for Hereford. However I don't know what my house mates would think of bringing it along, never mind storing it. Also I know no one across the pond yet in the area(some family friends in Sweden). So if I were to use someone's gun, I would test it first and know them first beyond that.

If you do bring over a firearm you will need to be sponsored by someone in the UK, they will obtain a visitors permit for you that allows you to hold your firearm. The sponsor will need to hold the firearm when it is not being used. You will need permission to shoot on an area before a visitors permit is issued that is normally obtained from the sponsor.
    Visitor permits can be issued for a maximum of one year.
    If your course is for more than one year the Firearms Licencing Department may consider you as a resident and you will need to go through the residential UK proceedure. Obtaining a full UK firearms licence may be an advantage to you.

As said it will be easier to use a rifle in the UK, however the owner needs to be close to you and have control over you, normally within two meters.

Get in touch with me when you get here and I will help you out.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    If you do bring over a firearm you will need to be sponsored by someone in the UK, they will obtain a visitors permit for you that allows you to hold your firearm. The sponsor will need to hold the firearm when it is not being used. You will need permission to shoot on an area before a visitors permit is issued that is normally obtained from the sponsor.
    Visitor permits can be issued for a maximum of one year.
    If your course is for more than one year the Firearms Licencing Department may consider you as a resident and you will need to go through the residential UK proceedure. Obtaining a full UK firearms licence may be an advantage to you.

As said it will be easier to use a rifle in the UK, however the owner needs to be close to you and have control over you, normally within two meters.

Get in touch with me when you get here and I will help you out.

That is a good offer,it would be prudent to be close to the person for many reasons. However reading through this which mentions distances.

BORROWING RIFLES ON PRIVATE PREMISES

Note:
    The law has recently changed due to “The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010” – this document

has been amended to incorporate the age changes given by the regulations.

Section 16 (1) Firearms Amendment Act 1988 allows a non certificate holder to borrow a rifle

and use it in the presence of either the occupier of private premises or their servant without

holding a firearm certificate. The following criteria must be met;

The borrower must be aged 17 years or older.

NEW - The occupier or his servant (the lender) must be aged 18 years of age or older

whenever they are lending to the 17 year old age group. For borrowers aged 18 or older the

lending certificate holder may be of any age.

The lender must be the “occupier” of private land or “a servant of the occupier”. The

occupier and/or their servant must hold a firearm certificate in respect of the firearm being

used.

The rifle must be borrowed and only used on land occupied by the person lending the rifle.

The rifle must always remain in the presence of the lender (The term “in the presence of” is

not defined in law but is generally interpreted as being within sight and earshot.)

The borrower must comply with the conditions on the lenders’ FAC e.g. the quarry species.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Hi Munty1, thanks for the info and I will probably do a UK Firearms license since my course is 3yrs long. I will be sure to get in touch with you when I get over there.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome,

Rory

My advice would be to use a rifle on the estate system with a guide.

Bringing your own rifle over here for a length of time would be problematic due to the length of time you are here and where you are storing it. The police would want to see a fixed cabinet for it to be kept in, if you are over here for some months. A locked hard case with bolt removed would probably not suffice. You would also have the problem of it being kept in the halls of residence on the campus, if indeed that is where you will be lodging?

Either way you will need a sponsor over here to obtain your visitors permit to bring the rifle into the UK, and you will need to supply proof that you use the rifle and hunt in the States with that application, this would be a membership of a club, or state hunting licence or FA certificate (which you do not have in the states).

The estate rifle system in the UK allows you to use a rifle with a lease holder or landowner permission and whilst they accompany you on the stalk on their land. You must be 17 and over (which I know you are) and my advice would be for you to also make sure that if you are paying them to take you out, that they are commercially insured (many are not!)

Good luck
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.