.223 Enough gun for Roe ?

Estudiente

Whilst its legal for Roe do you think it`s up to the job? Ive got a slot for one and unsure whether I`ll be happy with it .

Whilst its legal for Roe do you think it`s up to the job? Ive got a slot for one and unsure whether I`ll be happy with it .

Hiya, Well up to the job for Roe....I have a 222, ( In Scotland) and have been taking Roe with it for years...:)

There still going nowhere had 5 bucks so far this week .223, don't understand why they won't allow it to be used on roe south of the border. Absolutely ridiculous IMO.

You seem to be based in England. Can't use it in England and Wales. (I do wish they would allow it though)

David.

absolutely it is.
Just like any calibre you have to hit it in the right place.
I would advise a fast twist rate so you can use 60gr to 75gr bullets with ease.

Shot a good few roe with .222 in Scotland, it's an excellent round for them. .223 is just as good if not better I'm sure. Chest and neck shots, nothing ever ran far. Using my 25 06 on roe in England always seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut by comparison.

It's good enough to shoot people with and that's without expanding bullets, so theoretically it should be fine for Roe!
There are some strange differences between Scottish and English deer law which would be better unified.
MS

There are some strange differences between Scottish and English deer law which would be better unified.
MS

MS well said, it is a crazy situation, on one side of the River Tweed you can, on the other you cannot!, yes unification/harminisation of the Deer Act must be addressed before too long

no different to any other CF
bullet choice and bullet placement have more effect on whether a shot is humane than calibre/cartridge

I shoot .222 exclusively for roe
60gr Hornady Soft Points and some 53gr Barnes XLC (Copper)

Red deer run just as far when hit with a .270/300wm (i.e. they either do or they don't!)

.223 is more powerful on big roe deer than a 375 Holland and Holland magnum on large lowland red deer due to the ft-lb per live weight delivery of energy compared to animal size/weight. FACT

it's funny but a .50 bmg with an 750gr a-max delivers 11,000 ft-lb to the deer, on the large park red deer is exactly the same ft-lb per live weight lb as a .223 on a muntjac

;) pretty scary this relative size comparison

Even a .50 is not sufficient if you don't hit it in the right place.
a .243W is used widely all over the world for much larger deer species
Therefore a .223 is, surely, fine for Roe.

Been my choice roe calibre for the last 20 odd years. 55g bullet, perfect for the job, seen roe run more from other caliber's than the -223. No recoil, no noise, no carcase damage PERFECT.

Back