Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: .223 Enough gun for Roe ?

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    I have reliable reports of 50gr Nosler BT's in .223 and 55gr BT's & V-Max's in 22-250 being used reliably on Roe with acceptable carcass damage.

I personally won't choose a bullet that limits shot placement
    Unless you can confidently drive it through shoulders on a quartering animal at under 100yds with penetration and weight retention then I would steer clear.
    fine for head neck and perfect broadside behind shoulders..

I have used BT on foxes from the same gun and had several "splashes" where it has hit shoulder on the way in
    They are very effective once inside though i will grant you that

without wanting to pour lemon on the wound....AMax work better than VMax on light framed animals in .224

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I personally won't choose a bullet that limits shot placement
    Unless you can confidently drive it through shoulders on a quartering animal at under 100yds with penetration and weight retention then I would steer clear.
    fine for head neck and perfect broadside behind shoulders..

I have used BT on foxes from the same gun and had several "splashes" where it has hit shoulder on the way in
    They are very effective once inside though i will grant you that

without wanting to pour lemon on the wound....AMax work better than VMax on light framed animals in .224
    Fair enough. Just info that I've gleaned off some experienced guys I know.

I personally don't want lead everywhere so have started developing a Barnes TSX load for the .222 - accuracy not as good as matchkings yet (2.130" OAL) but have another few seated at 2.170" to try soon (with a full case of Xterminator).

sure you don't mean v max work better I tried some a max on foxes and had a few not expand very well compared to v max on sierra blitzkings now you just get a hole and a bag of jelly

Quote Originally Posted by 7700 View Post
    sure you don't mean v max work better I tried some a max on foxes and had a few not expand very well compared to v max on sierra blitzkings now you just get a hole and a bag of jelly
    I mean they work better and more like a softpoint
    penetration is better, exits more often

VMax and SBK work well on foxes but they are violent if you hit solid bone on the way in, fragmenting far to much before penetrating
    I like SBKs but find them much messier than VMax on foxes
    sadly I have 400 of them to get through and they are bloody accurate!

In my area, no one would even think twice shooting a 60 pound deer with a .223. Whitetail and Mule Deer weighing at the least, twice that, are routinely taken with that cartridge. In my youth, I hunted with a Sioux indian who would only use his Remington 788 in .223 for deer. (he shot everything with that rifle, now that I think of it...) He used Remington 55 grain SP and never failed to knock them down. He was, of course, a competent marksman. There is no accounting for bad shooting no matter what the chambering.~Muir

A 223 would be a brilliant roe gun and also a 22 250 just ashame its non legal in england

Ditto. The 223 has a lot going for it. I use one with a pretty fast twist (up to 80gr bullets) and it's the rifle I use most (not, sadly, on deer). For smaller ground game and vermin control, I find Sierra 55gr BTSPs (#1365) very accurate and dependable without being too explosive, but also use 60gr V-max flat base bullets which are excellent for almost all of my vermin control. Be interesting to try the new replacements for the V-max/A-max in due course.