Thread: Cobra Blade - opinions please

Cobra Blade - opinions please

Thinking of getting a cobra blade nv add-on. I like the idea of being able to fix it on several scopes with out having to zero etc and not altering my shooting position.

Intrested to hear from amy users good and bad points about the unit.

thanks in advance

john

I haven't used one but have read a lot about them. Essentially it will work up to 6 times zoom max and then you will get noise. It's a maths thing where the amount of zoom is determined by the size of the objective lens.

my personal opinion is go for something else.

I use nv between air rifle up to 243. I do a lot of night shooting. But not so much this year strangely due to work. I digress. The idea is good but in my opinion flawed.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Good friend of mine has the old Blade (not the new LR version). He loves it...... I'm less impressed. His is mounted normally on his .223 wearing an NF 5.5-22 and at anything over base mag it gets very grainy. Anything above about 7 mag and for me its unworkable.

On this note I had a gander at the new LR version a couple of weeks ago. Underwhelmed I think sums it up. We tried it on my .223 wearing a Leup VX-3 and my mates rifle wearing (if memory serves) a Swaro? Both were not great above about 7-8 mag and IMO not worth the rather hefty price tag.

Front mount NV is still very technology dependent and I think only the very best MILSPEC image intensifiers have the granularity to cut it when subjected to high scope mag. Sadly as cumbersome as my rear mounted PVS-14 is I do have a crystal clear image at 25 mag.

All the best.

Deano

Cheers for the feedback, what other units do you suggest for £2000/£2500.

I've tried several front-mounted add-ons but nothing has yet convinced me to get rid of my Rear-mounted Cobra Titan. When I first got it I thought I'd have length-of-pull / eye relief issues, but in practice with most scopes very little head adjustment is required. The unit can be quickly attached, making it genuinely useful for scanning/spotting, and you have no worries about it affecting your point-of-impact.

Front-mounted is admittedly "sexier" and whilst it may be necessary on a harder-recoiling calibre such as 7.62 or .338LM, it really isn't on a .17, .20, .22, or even a .243.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Go digital with a Ward-D-Vision, new 800 model coming soon.

What are you shooting? I have an archer on my hmr for bunnies and a longbow on my 243 for foxes. The hmr is set up perfect for night shooting as that is what it is mainly used for with the occasional day shot.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I want something I can put on different rifles. .22 & HMR for rabbits, .243 & 6.5 for foxes. I'm not sure I like the way the archer alters your check position.

With references to the Ward D 800, dispite all the good reports on how good it is I not sure I want want given the poor customer service. I have tried calling, left messages & emailed and had no reply when trying to purchase the Ward d700 and would be concerned that if there was a problem I wouldnt be able to make contact and get it sorted.

john

Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    I want something I can put on different rifles. .22 & HMR for rabbits, .243 & 6.5 for foxes. I'm not sure I like the way the archer alters your check position.

With references to the Ward D 800, dispite all the good reports on how good it is I not sure I want want given the poor customer service. I have tried calling, left messages & emailed and had no reply when trying to purchase the Ward d700 and would be concerned that if there was a problem I wouldnt be able to make contact and get it sorted.

john
    Agree that Clive`s record for communication is not the best, but don`t give up. You will be rewarded with a very good product, provided you marry it up with a suitable scope and IR illuminator. Look on the NV forum.

anybody know where I can get a scope mount for a PVS 14 Cheers Mick