Thread: nice day for a roast

nice day for a roast

not stalking related but i have the family round today and its my wifes sisters birthday so my hog roaster got fired up this morning and off i went two chickens and head and shoulder of hog . later on in the year i will try a roe and see how i get on Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29082009092.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	1389

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    not stalking related but i have the family round today and its my wifes sisters birthday so my hog roaster got fired up this morning and off i went two chickens and head and shoulder of hog . later on in the year i will try a roe and see how i get on Click image for larger version. 

ahhh.. perfect add on to the high seat me thinks!!!!

That looks the mutt's nuts. It'd look fabulous with a munty fixed to the spit.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Can I just say Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Ive a pork loin in the oven ready any min thank gawd as that pics made me hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    Can I just say Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Ive a pork loin in the oven ready any min thank gawd as that pics made me hungry
    Had a muntjac haunch between 3 of us for a Sunday roast today. All three of us were saying "Mmmmmm", and there's still quite a bit left.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Looks delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    later on in the year i will try a roe and see how i get on Click image for larger version. 

How would you do the roe on a spit out of interest? Any tricks to stopping it drying out?

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Looks delicious!

How would you do the roe on a spit out of interest? Any tricks to stopping it drying out?
    hi thanks for the replys it went down very well as also did the wine.i am going to try a roe maybe a haunch first just incase it doesnt work but my first attempt was a leg of pork which i boned out and wrapped around the spit and bound on with stainless wire and worked well so progressed to a full hog then the one i posted i have managed to get the knack of adding the coal at the right time now but back to your question. i think i would wrap it in bacon or pig fat and again wire it on so it doesnt come off and just keep basting with olive oil and lemon and garlic and just keep adding more the good thing with the spit is i have a front thats not shown in the pick but can keep a constant temp either low and slow or faster so i could bone the haunches and wrap this would also reduce cooking times also to aid in not drying out .on the roaster i was asked to trim back my neighbours cherry tree so everything that i took off also went onto the coals and i will say the chicken took on a lovely cherry wood flavour but that didnt come over in the pork but nice all the same all the best,wayne