Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should have been Life....

Should have been Life....

He will be out in 3 years leaving the girls with a life in wheel chairs...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...vUShT7SCyEaqWQ

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Sadly have to agree that neither successive Governments or Judicial system seem fit for purpose?

No sentence will ever be enough.
    A very sad tale indeed ...
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    No sentence will ever be enough.
    A very sad tale indeed ...
    Agreed but surely some severe sanction is needed here to; A) Punish the offender, B) Provide a moral compass to others who are of the same persuasion?

Otherwise? It continues down the same path?
    IMO, it's not good for Law to fail to protect society effectively in the long term?

SD Regular
    I think that the sentence will probably be reviewed. But as an aside a Judge, he or she, must only sentence on the charge that the accused has been convicted of or plead guilty to (plus and aggravating or mitigating factors in the evidence that may increase of lessen the sentence).

He or she must also give discount for an early guilty plea and if the Prosecution chooses to accept a guilty plea on a lesser charge rather than risk an acquital on a more serious charge that serious charge cannot be part of the sentencing equation as it is no longer at issue.

But if it were my kids I'd want a greater sentence and even though its not my kids it isn't much of a deterrent. I agree. It can't be "life" as with "life" being the maximum sentence for murder, robbery, arson and rape to pass "life" here would be seen as disproportionate.

'Give discount for an early guilty plea'..........Is really as easy as that?
    He pleads guilty because he was guilty not so that he can get a discount!
    If the sentence cannot be 'life' change the title to 'a longish time but it won't effect you as much as your actions will effect others'

SD Regular
    Earlier this week the Indian/Pakistan restaurant owner that used nuts in his food and caused the death of a customer was sentenced to five years in prison.

That's the problem that sentences have to have a synergy. If you sentence someone to five years for killing someone by being reckless as to their nut allergy then you can't sentence someone to more that that for a reckless action that results only in injury.

The saying "Hard cases make bad law" is, I fear, operative here. It is an awful story, the two kids paralysed, but the law will hold that is less than a death.

FS asked about "He pleads guilty because he was guilty not so that he can get a discount". The reality is that the Crown will have communicated to him, before the trial, what he gets if he pleads guilty and what he would get if he plead "Not Guilty" but was convicted.

And whilst his counsel will have said that he should not plead guilty unless he is guilty, yes, in it actual effect, he has plead guilty and got a lesser term than if he had plead "Not Guilty" and been convicted. However you express it.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-05-2016 at 17:50.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    That's the problem that sentences have to have a synergy.
    Except, of course, they don't! I'm currently in correspondence with my MP and the Ministry of Justice over two offences involving the use of knives. One ended up with the offender being given a custodial sentence, even though he hadn't actually used the knife, while another got a suspended sentence (plus some 'anger management counseling) having cut someone. The only 'synergy' that matters is whether or not the sentence conforms to the 'guidelines' issued by the entirely unrepresentative and unelected Sentencing Council. The entire regime is a charade, clearly evidenced by the use of 'discounts' and 'surcharge values' and all the other smoke and mirrors aimed at keeping people out of jail and costs down.

SD Regular
    That's pretty much the truth BC. But, at least, yet, we've not got the American disease of threatening a massive sentence if convicted to try to coerce a "Guilty" plea from an innocent accused. Yet....

Life, exactly, the other option is to make him pay a large percentage of any wages he makes in the future to the family of these lettle innocent girls.
    Is there a time and place for spontaneity?