Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you Travel to South Africa on Temp Licence???

Can you Travel to South Africa on Temp Licence???

Hello All

My FAC expires in Aug 2016 and is currently with THames Valley firearms office for renewal and it has been for 4months...

I spoke to them today 27th May, and they said that they cannot confirm how much longer it will take but if they cannot return in time they will issue me with a Temp Permit/Licence....

I'm going to SA in Aug and In case I don't get my FAC back by then...

"Can I take my Rifle to South Africa on a Temp Permit"???

many thanks

Did you tell them about the trip?

They may accommodate a pressing need.

Give Henry a call or email at riflepermits.com he is very knowledgeable on SA and saps forms etc also remember our border force.....Its clear full valid firearms cert Maybe copy this to your FLD

Thank you for your telephone call. I can confirm that the South African authorities now require a 'letter of temporary export' upon entry into SA, or they may detain your weapons. We can arrange for this to be sent out to you, however we require a few pieces of information from you first:-

·Copy of the ID page of your passport

·Copy of letter of invitation from the hunting party

·Copy of flight details to and from South Africa

·Copy of the full, valid, firearms certificate

·Details of which firearm(s) and ammo will be exported

Please send all the scanned documents to this email address and a letter will be sent out in the post ASAP. Alterantively you can send photocopies to our postal address but this may take longer to arrive.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas Richards
    Border Force Officer

Right, time to stop mucking around...

Email the Licencing Dept. Put the Chief Constable, Francis Habgood, on copy, along with the re-elected PCC, Anthony Stansfeld, Tim Bonner of Countryside Alliance, Richard Ali of BASC and your MP.

Explain really politely how you are concerned about the already lengthy delay, and how it is going to affect your hunting trip ie unable to travel with your own rifle, which was bought specifically for the trip etc... etc... etc...

They should react in a positive manner, and get you to the top of the pile.

My MP picked this up personally She followed up with Habgood, and kindly supplied me with copies of their correspondence, which only proved how little he knows about what's going on in Kidlington...

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

+1, well said..........

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    Did you tell them about the trip?

They may accommodate a pressing need.
    I spoke to a lady at Oxford office, I told her the dates I'm travelling and which rifle I plan to take with me...

She put me on hold for 5min to ask someone but came back saying that she cannot comment on this and asked me to send them an email and she will get a senior to reply to my email... Which I have done!!

If that's not forthcoming then I would do as the above poster suggested... politely kick off.

No point starting a fight for no reason, but if they are stopping you using the gun then go for it.

Hi Asif, they wont accept a temporary permit in SA. I will give you the guy at heathrows email address for the temporary export permits when i see you next week and if you need help with the SAPS paperwork will go through it with you. Is your original FAC still valid for the period of your trip?

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TH4 View Post
    Hi Asif, they wont accept a temporary permit in SA. I will give you the guy at heathrows email address for the temporary export permits when i see you next week and if you need help with the SAPS paperwork will go through it with you. Is your original FAC still valid for the period of your trip?

Trev
    Many Thanks Trev, looking forward to seeing you on Thursday....

Unfortunately my FAC expires a day after I'm supposed to fly to SA...

Just to give you an update... I spoke to a very polite, professional and helpful person called Nick at Kidlington office last week whom I explained everything to... Nick took it upon himself to find out where my application was and called me back a day later to say that he has found my application and it has returned from the background checks dept (I assume it must've been back sometime ago).

Nick advised that that he will personally pass it to a FEO whom is dealing with my area and they will then call me to discuss further in the next couple of weeks... To my surprise I received a call from someone today who confirmed all my details relating to my SGC/FAC and said that my FEO will be in touch soon...

Many thanks to Nick at Oxford office for his quick & kind help in this matter...