Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloucestershire Gun Company Range

Gloucestershire Gun Company Range

Spent a pleasant couple of hours at the opening of this newly built range this lunchtime. A few interesting bits and pieces on display. I was particularly impressed by the RPA rifles, never having seen one before. Very clean design, nice engineering and enthusiastic and knowledgeable demonstrator. If I was in the market for an up-market bang stick, so to speak, RPA would now be on my list of possibles.

The range itself is neatly built, well located and in moderately attractive countryside. Just a tent over the concrete plinth firing points at the moment, but I imagine a wooden shelter at least is soon to be erected.

Much kudos to the Gloucestershire Gun Company for the free (and really rather good) venison burgers, available on payment of a minimum donation of 2.20 into the H4H bucket. When I queued, it was mostly 5 and 10 notes going in. Made me rather proud to be with such a generous and caring bunch of people.

Blasers and other makes there just for the shooting. I didn't have a go, but Silightfoot from here on SD was with me, and he couldn't stop grinning after shooting the 338 LM.

The range opening event continues tomorrow (Sunday). A recommended visit for anyone with the time.
    Last edited by KevinF; 12-06-2010 at 16:25.
    KevinF -

Good news...the more ranges, the better.

I'd be interested to find out what steps and measures they had to take to get their range approved.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Spent a pleasant couple of hours at the opening of this newly built range this lunchtime. A few interesting bits and pieces on display. I was particularly impressed by the RPA rifles, never having seen one before. Very clean design, nice engineering and enthusiastic and knowledgeable demonstrator. If I was in the market for an up-market bang stick, so to speak, RPA would now be on my list of possibles.

The range itself is neatly built, well located and in moderately attractive countryside. Just a tent over the concrete plinth firing points at the moment, but I imagine a wooden shelter at least is soon to be erected.

Much kudos to the Gloucestershire Gun Company for the free (and really rather good) venison burgers, available on payment of a minimum donation of 2.20 into the H4H bucket. When I queued, it was mostly 5 and 10 notes going in. Made me rather proud to be with such a generous and caring bunch of people.

Blasers and other makes there just for the shooting. I didn't have a go, but Silightfoot from here on SD was with me, and he couldn't stop grinning after shooting the 338 LM.

The range opening event continues tomorrow (Sunday). A recommended visit for anyone with the time.
    I was there about midday, nice range off the beaten track where you can check zero/test loads. I thoroughly recommend visiting the shop, I have bought from Alistair and had work done by their gunsmith and it is nice to go somewhere where their level of knowledge is better than the customer as opposed to the other way round! Great service too.

Lapua 338 was (is) a PGW Timberwolf with folding stock.

See Chris's report below. Apologies if I have misled people. PGW was the 338 billed on the invite, but I did not handle it myself. Little chance of getting one on my ticket, even for fallow...
    Last edited by KevinF; 13-06-2010 at 06:16. Reason: I was peddling duff information
    KevinF -

Had a great time at the range in the company of Neil from the forum (njc110381), decided I had to have a go with the .338 Lapua which I believe was not a PGW Timberwolf but a PGM Precision but I stand to be corrected, so chucked a tenner in the pot as they were asking for 6 a pop with part of that going to H4H & it was well worth it as I will probably never get another opportunity to shoot one then Paul & Alistair kindly let us have a good go on the .308 Blaser, a very nice & slick action & very accurate, I was told by the spotter I shot a tiny group with that one. Also shot a very nice Sauer in .243 & finally what I believe was a PGW Coyote in .308, very tactical which is not my cup of tea but it was nice to have a go with it.

Had a good chat with Rupert from Open Seasons about the Blaser’s & then found out he lives in the next village to me!

Also chatting to the guy from Zeiss he lives about
    1/2 mile from my friends in Woburn Sands & passes their house every day, small world.

The RPA’s were cracking bits of kit especially the new Woodland Stalker, with the 16” barrel that would make a great rifle for foxing from the truck.

I agree with KevinF the venison burgers were great & it was very nice to see the proceeds of them & the drinks going to H4H.

Well worth the 55 minute drive & thoroughly recommended.

Cheers

Chris

Temporary firing points

Down range, four lanes

The butts
    Last edited by Chris Rob; 13-06-2010 at 01:19. Reason: A few pics of the range
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Thanks for the reports - wish I could have been there

With my newly-threaded rifle and newly-bought moderator hopefully being re-united this week (along with a newly made up load of Barnes TTSX) I shall call GGC and books some time on their range.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Just a quick question can you take your own rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    The four lanes were being used for people to try out the demo rifles. It's not really a weekend to bring your own rifle and shoot but you could book in later for that.

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    No. You cannnot. 'Due to a recent event.'
    KevinF -

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Kevin

Do you mean you cannot take your own rifle to the Open Day, or to the range at all? Wondering how the latter would work??

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!