Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land form

Land form

Hypothetic scenario, FAC renewal,
    if you have a renewal of FAC due and are between leases for your stalking area's and can not declare and specify ground ,obviously one would assume your history and explanation would assist in your submission ,as we know the FLD are adamant this form needs completion to tick a box ......
    any one been in this position?
    What FLD
    What were the individual FLO comments ?

thoughts please......

if you have a renewal of FAC due and are between leases for your stalking area's and can not declare and specify ground ,obviously one would assume your history and explanation would assist in your submission
    No 'obviously' about it. A renewal is treated in exactly the same way as an initial application in this respect, and you must provide 'good reason' for each firearm. If land to shoot over is part of that 'good reason' then you are required to nominate at least one area which is suitable for the firearm(s) and holds the quarry you are intending to shoot.

BTW there is no requirement to complete a 'land form', just Form 201.
    Last edited by Orion; 28-05-2016 at 07:51.

Book a couple of stalks, and show proof of booking as "good reason"

Are you a member of a club?

If so point out the second sentence of paragraph 13.32 from the guidance.

I posted a link about this recently as a friend was between permissions at renewal time (he has an open cert and has mainly been shooting with friends) and he has now had to lodge his guns with an RFD until he provides a signed letter saying he has permission somewhere.

I am fine for shooting leases, this post is a Hypothetic scenario up for a discussion for maybe someone changing ground at time of renewal (and new leases /permissions not completed),obviously booked stalking is easily arranged on the quick approach as a cover ,but just wondered if anyone had been put in an awkward position and how various FLD's handle it ,thanks nun_hunter didn't see your post soz
    By the way Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire are now insistent on land forms ,What about other FLD across the country are they insistent, also from what I have seen there are various land forms available not a standard one ie BASC ,Herts .
    Has any one declined to send one in and what was the response .....

It's fairly simple really. The police will want you to provide good reason for each rifle you have. If your good reason is to stalk, but you haven't any ground to stalk over, then that's curtains for that idea for the moment.

As has been said, there are ways around this, if you avail yourself of paid stalking, or if you are a full member of an approved range. But of course if you give those reasons, then you might find your conditions change to reflect your differing use, so that'll have to be changed once again once you get land.

The thing to do if you are a member of a syndicate but are leaving, is don't leave until your new arrangements are in place. Especially if it's renewal time.

Quote Originally Posted by ljs View Post
    .....but just wondered if anyone had been put in an awkward position and how various FLD's handle it
    Not sure how you are thinking it would be an awkward position? If the applicant can't provide 'good reason' i.e. land to shoot over as per your scenario, then they are not going to have a certificate issued.

By the way Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire are now insistent on land forms ,What about other FLD across the country are they insistent, also from what I have seen there are various land forms available not a standard one ie BASC ,Herts .
    Has any one declined to send one in and what was the response .....
    D&C - just provided the address of a farm (same as previous application) and it was sorted.

I've heard that the Herts/Beds/Cambs FLD is starting to resemble the inquisition on a bad day, and they can insist as much as they like but the only form that is legally required is Form 201. However it might not be a big deal to provide them with details of land/shooting authority from the off to make life easier all round but............................. some of the forms issued by police FLDs can be over detailed or misleading - such as the 'Good Reason' form from Wiltshire (landowner only listed and firearms specified) - so it might be a good idea to just get a letter from the person giving the authority instead.

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/infor...-firearms/file
    Last edited by Orion; 28-05-2016 at 15:43.

Sussex used to send out a land form and i used to screw it up and throw it in the bin. On the FAC form where they asked where i would use each of my rifles i just wrote , in the UK.
    Always had an open ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    It's fairly simple really. The police will want you to provide good reason for each rifle you have. If your good reason is to stalk, but you haven't any ground to stalk over, then that's curtains for that idea for the moment.
    When I put in for a variation for my first centrefire (deer legal) rifle, I just told NWP that I'd been stalking with a chap I met via the SD, and hoped to go again. No names mentioned, and nothing in writing. Got open ticket for deer from day one.

Other forces seem to add layer upon layer of complication.

We may not have many deer in North Wales, but we've got a jolly good firearms dept!