Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with zeroing after new moderator...

Problems with zeroing after new moderator...

Gents after a bit of advise....

Picked up a new Hausken JD224 moderator today and tried to zero my rifle... It was a long way out! Walked it in got elevation on the money then worked on the windage! Needed 30cm right and ran out of adjustment. What's peoples thoughts?

The rifle was bang on the money with the A-Tec CCM, prior to putting the Hausken on.

(.308 Norma through an R8, Swaro Z6i 2.5-15x56.)

whats peoples thoughts?

Regards

WH
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

What are the groups like with the mod? If a shotgun pattern are you getting a strike inside the can?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
    What are the groups like with the mod? If a shotgun pattern are you getting a strike inside the can?
    The group isn't too bad, not my best as I was getting a bit frustrated!
    “Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
    –Fred Bear -

You could try setting the scope back to its zero setting. Fire a shot to see where you are and adjust from there.
    Firstly though I would remove the bolt and have a look through the barrel. Make sure you can see a nice round hole through. Secondly is to make sure it is screwed on tight as a loose mod or grease in the thread will give you the same results. I had a friend that regularly greased his thread ( pardon the pun ) and wondered why he had to keep tightening his mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    You could try setting the scope back to its zero setting. Fire a shot to see where you are and adjust from there.
    Firstly though I would remove the bolt and have a look through the barrel. Make sure you can see a nice round hole through. Secondly is to make sure it is screwed on tight as a loose mod or grease in the thread will give you the same results. I had a friend that regularly greased his thread ( pardon the pun ) and wondered why he had to keep tightening his mod.
    I think starting a fresh is a good idea Grant.N, the mod is nice and tight but what I would say the Hausken have a standard thread size then a cross over for the specific rifle / thread... We'll see how it goes...
    –Fred Bear -

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    The weight and length difference of the hausken will have altered the harmonics of the barrel. That happens every time you change alter something on the barrel whether moderator... muzzle brake. .. or even shortening a barrel.
    You will also find that you may also find that your group size may change.....because your ammo was matched to the previous mod and barrel configuration and now that's changed you may have to 're tune' it.... ie. Find another factory round that shoots a good group or if you home load change the powder alter the powder charge accordingly.

Zero your gun without mod then fit the mod and shoot it if it's more than 6 ins out you have a moderator problem then fit your old mod and see where that shoots. You say they are all the same thread and you then fit a adapter so it will fit your gun doesn't sound a good idea to me

Quote Originally Posted by jb7x57 View Post
    Zero your gun without mod then fit the mod and shoot it if it's more than 6 ins out you have a moderator problem then fit your old mod and see where that shoots. You say they are all the same thread and you then fit a adapter so it will fit your gun doesn't sound a good idea to me
    can you meet up with someone and exchange mods? It may help diagnose the problem.

12"/30cm POI shift is not that bad at 100yds

easily within the expected change when introducing a new can to a CF

the running out of range on the turret is a consequence of scope choice and a coincidence of the base setting your initial zero had

You have a 1" scope with 25 MOA of windage due to misalignment from factory of both rail/dovetail/tapping point and scope windage range
    lets say you were at 75% of left windage to get zero and your new mod pushed you POI left by 50% or 12 MOA....you run out

get some adjustable mounts to centre the scope before you start

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    If you've ran out of win age adjustment on the scope and it still needs to be altered I would look at how the scope is sat.... and also it may be worth A. Slackening the action screws and re tightening them whilst ensuring the barrel is perfectly centered and fully freefloating..... and B. Look at the scope mount.... if the mount is slightly off center on the action it will affect windage adjustment.

You say your groups were quite good.... we're they consistent? Because if so it means they weren't 'clipping the mod' on exit with means then that the mod should be centered ok.
    I've had three different mods on my rifle.... t8....atec maxim....and now a jet z.... and had to re zero each time but never more than a couple of inches .

Let us know how you get on.....