Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wagbi/basc foreshore fowling - where did it go?

SD Regular

Wagbi/basc foreshore fowling - where did it go?

This, please, isn't a BASC "bashing" thread. So if your reply wants to do that please don't post.

In the other BASC thread I posted about the rights that WAGBI/BASC Members once had to wildfowl on the Crown's foreshore. I 'phoned BASC ten, maybe fifteen years ago, to ask if that right still existed. I was told that it didn't.

Ok. So this is my thread:

1) When did it cease?

2)Why did it cease? Did the Crown take it back? What happened?

3)Does it mean that any person can wildfowl on the Crown foreshore nowadays and they don't have to be a WAGBI/BASC Member?

In other words "Where did it go and does it, in any form, still exist?".

Please...NO BASHING!

Ok!:d
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I hope the right still exists as I have done it rather a lot - potential ooops.

SD Regular
    Well, that's it, KS, does it? Doesn't it? BASC ten, fifteen years ago said that certainly "their Members" didn't have it.

Long term leases were secured from the Crown, MOD, and adjoining Landowners
    by the Various Individual Wildfowlers Clubs that now control the wildfowling.
    usually under in association with BASC
    membership and permits are usually available at reasonable cost.
    If you are interested BASC has a permit booklet on their site
    The General right ended in 1999.
    Many areas are also now nature reserves.
    .................an old WAGBI member

SD Regular
    Thank you BADB. Fantastic. As you say from 10 or so a day. So in effect unless through this permit booklet there's no longer any turn up as Joe Public and go shooting?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 29-05-2016 at 16:13.

So the answer may be anyone can shoot from foreshore that is not private (whether WF Club or any other owner), all BASC does is guarantee indemnity (for what) beyond what an average Jo might have as a member of any insured shooting org?

More details on the current situation are here: http://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/crown-estate/

Kes, given this and I am sure other forums are viewed by the police et al, I am a little surprised that you seem to be admitting in post #3 ' I hope the right still exists as I have done it rather a lot - potential ooops. that you have shot on land that you were not sure you had the legal rights to do so...more than an 'ooops' more like risking your ticket!

But why wouldn't BASC, with thousands of wildfolwers, not work with our clubs to help them secure their shooting rights?

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    More details on the current situation are here: http://basc.org.uk/wildfowling/crown-estate/

Kes, given this and I am sure other forums are viewed by the police et al, I am a little surprised that you seem to be admitting in post #3 ' I hope the right still exists as I have done it rather a lot - potential ooops. that you have shot on land that you were not sure you had the legal rights to do so...more than an 'ooops' more like risking your ticket!

But why wouldn't BASC, with thousands of wildfolwers, not work with our clubs to help them secure their shooting rights?
    I shot in Anglesey when, at the time, the land I crossed was private and upon which I had permission to shoot (with others) - from that to the high tide mark and then between high and low water. So my query related to shooting between the high and low water marks not of shooting on private land. One hopes the police, who you seem keen to alert, would recognise that it was legitimate and legal.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Seems it isnt just BASC bashing thats in fashion but individuals too. I shall remember that.