Thread: 1st Buck - need help with preparing trophy

1st Buck - need help with preparing trophy

Even though I've shot red deer in the last few seasons on estate shoots, I stalked and shot my first Roe Buck last night @ 20:55. Approx. 50 meters, pure heart shot. He dropped immediately He was just a 2 point yearling, but quite tall (20cm approx.) and well cleaned off. I considered letting him go, to try and find a 6 pointer, but he started walking towards me quickly, so I knew if I didn't take him, he would run off barking and scare off any other bucks nearby...nevertheless, he will taste great, and still makes a very nice trophy ...will post a picture later...ps. shot him with Sako 75, .243 and with S&B 6X42 fixed (hungarian) and with Norma SP 100gr.

I have butchered deer before, and did a great job with this one too, but I have never prepared the head/trophy before (ie. cutting, boiling, etc.). I have all the tools necessary, but need help with how to do it - a youtube link or similar would be a great help, or diagrams with instructions if anyone has it.

thanks in anticipation.

hi,

not far from you and would be happy to help pm me.

f.

Attachment 1416
    Here he is :-)

Got the trophy mounting sorted ok - did a pretty good job, but don't have a picture of that just yet.

Thanks for the link (and for the offer of help central'..stalker).

cheers,

hi,

no worries, cant wait to see that mount, looks like a killer buck( i think they call them)

f.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

no worries, cant wait to see that mount, looks like a killer buck( i think they call them)

f.
    Murder Buck down our way, very nice one though.

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

thanks for the input up to now.

so....for my first roe mount, I managed to overcook the head a bit (20 mins initial boiling time is a bit much - been advised 10 mins, then clean, then 10 mins, then clean, etc. is better) - and of course being a very young buck, most of the nose section came off in the boiling. It was oddly enough 90% cartilage, as opposed to what I'm used to seeing with reds.

doesn't matter, it will still be my first, and therefore stand out a bit! ha ha ha. so I need to know the best way to cut the skull to shape for a round shield instead of the traditinoal v-shaped shield, and how to angle the cut to get a nice round mount rather than the traditional full skull look.

anyone got any links/pics/etc.?

....next one will be done right - ha ha ha...

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...8-Gazza-s-Head

may help a little to see the knife marks
    more difficult if the head is already boiled ...

frank