Lyme's desease

norma 308

this is aimed particularly at folks that have had Lyme's .if untreated do the symptoms come and go periodically say a couple of times a year and do they differ in severity ?
cheers
Norma

Yes they can do, had it twenty one years ago, and have it agains at the moment, two separate infections with no connection, no recurring bouts from the original infection.

However I did know a stalker who contracted it around the same time that I did (first time) which kept recurring had to give up work and ended up in a wheelchair, he died two years ago through complications to organs caused by the Lyme.

By the way its Lyme not Lyme's a mistake many people make

I found a bullseye on my elbow a week past Friday, Doc. wasn't 100% but prescribed a fortnights Doxycycline and was sent for bloods, which came back clear. During the visit I mentioned that there might be something left at the "bite" area where he had a delve with some tweezers and removed something small and blackish coloured which I presumed were the remains of the ticks mouth parts etc.
My question is how accurate are the tests for Lyme?

I found a bullseye on my elbow a week past Friday, Doc. wasn't 100% but prescribed a fortnights Doxycycline and was sent for bloods, which came back clear. During the visit I mentioned that there might be something left at the "bite" area where he had a delve with some tweezers and removed something small and blackish coloured which I presumed were the remains of the ticks mouth parts etc.
My understanding: if tested early, lots of false negatives.

I would request a follow up test in 2-3 weeks for confirmation that it is all clear

As said may take several tests till a positive is found. symptoms are know to come and go

This is correct the usual test targets antibodies that we generate to borrelia when the bacterium causes infection but the body doesn't do this immediately after a tick bite and so it can take some time for the test to come back positive so a retest is often requested/recommended but a bulls eye rash is a definite symptom of infection ie treatment required. In other infectious you can detect the bacteria directly by looking for its DNA in the blood but since with Lyme circulating levels are low and often localised to the site of the tick bite it's also hard to find it in the blood and most folk don't want a biopsy at the bite site as its quite painful - hope this helps

Richard

gQUOTE=Eddie P;1121032]My understanding: if tested early, lots of false negatives.[/QUOTE]

Back