Thread: 'Scope help

'Scope help

I bought myself a nice new 3-12 x 50 'scope to use on my Maral when Deer stalking as opposed to using my low powered 'scope I usually have mounted on it when used for Driven Boar shooting.
    However I cannot mount it without taking my rear sight off, which I don't want to do.
    I have tried high mounts and it still cannot be mounted, anything higher than standard 'High' mounts would be ridiculous and out of the question for me.
    So gentlemen of SD, does anybody know of a 'scope which is shorter than 14" ?
    14" is the length of the 'scope I bought and I can only get the first half, the bit in front of the adjustment housing, on the base mounts of the rifle.
    So please, does anybody know of any short 'scopes, not particularly top end as it will only be used in the Summer with light bullets so won't take a hammering.

Swarovski did a Kurz (short) scope - quick search showed one on a well known auction site?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Leica Magnus i 1.8-12x50 is 340mm long (13.38")

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I bought myself a nice new 3-12 x 50 'scope to use on my Maral when Deer stalking as opposed to using my low powered 'scope I usually have mounted on it when used for Driven Boar shooting.
    However I cannot mount it without taking my rear sight off, which I don't want to do.
    I have tried high mounts and it still cannot be mounted, anything higher than standard 'High' mounts would be ridiculous and out of the question for me.
    So gentlemen of SD, does anybody know of a 'scope which is shorter than 14" ?
    14" is the length of the 'scope I bought and I can only get the first half, the bit in front of the adjustment housing, on the base mounts of the rifle.
    So please, does anybody know of any short 'scopes, not particularly top end as it will only be used in the Summer with light bullets so won't take a hammering.

Eddie

I have a 15" S&B 8x56 on mine for deer and it fits ok - acceptable eye relief brings the scope back in line with the rear of the cocking button and thats on the supplied 700mm rail. All fitted sights remain in place (I still have the ramp fitted).
    Tony
    TonyC

I have a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Z6 that is 12.63" & I might consider selling.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 31-05-2016 at 09:22.

Tony, my 14" scope with Warne 'High' QD mounts will not allow the scope to fit without moving the rear sight.

S&B Zenith 1.5-6 x42 is just over 12" don't know about the other zeniths

Who's a dozy git - No, who is an old dozy git = I am :-(
    Not long after I bought the Maral I bought a Swarovski low powered 'scope but I could not get the correct eye relief because the ocular on the low powered 'scope is quite fat !
    So, Dozy ! cut two slots off of the rail allowing the 'scope to be mounted more forward giving me plenty of eye relief.
    Now of course any other standard 'scope cannot be mounted as there are not enough rear slots for the rings.
    The answer is a standard rail for a standard 'scope in Summer when stalking Deer and the shorter rail with the low powered 'scope in Winter for driven hunts.
    what a palaver, good tip folks - don't get old ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Who's a dozy git - No, who is an old dozy git = I am :-(
    Not long after I bought the Maral I bought a Swarovski low powered 'scope but I could not get the correct eye relief because the ocular on the low powered 'scope is quite fat !
    So, Dozy ! cut two slots off of the rail allowing the 'scope to be mounted more forward giving me plenty of eye relief.
    Now of course any other standard 'scope cannot be mounted as there are not enough rear slots for the rings.
    The answer is a standard rail for a standard 'scope in Summer when stalking Deer and the shorter rail with the low powered 'scope in Winter for driven hunts.
    what a palaver, good tip folks - don't get old ;-)
    Well getting old is not an option ....................................... however growing up well you can decide on that yourself.

The man who admits his faults to others is obviously not talking to his wife
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed