Wanted: Contacts for stalking in Auckland New Zealand

Philwilk

Unexpectedly, I am going to be in Australia and New Zealand from this coming Saturday for two weeks. I arrive in Auckland on the 11th of June and it just so happens that Monday the 13th of June is a Bank Holiday so I have a couple of days to myself.

As I am currently in Malaysia I have no gear with me whatsoever but it would be nice to get out and about either stalking or just walking around with someone else carrying no more than a pair of bins.

There is an outfit that has a private 300 acre estate with fallow only 45 mins from Auckland and I have already mailed them. I would prefer a personal recommendation if anyone on here knows anyone in Auckland who might help me find an enjoyable day out.

Thanks,

Phil

I have a reply from the private 300 acre deer park. Three hundred quid per deer for a fallow spiker!!

Makes my Yorkshire heart bleed!!

Phil

I have a reply from the private 300 acre deer park. Three hundred quid per deer for a fallow spiker!!

Makes my Yorkshire heart bleed!!

Phil
I presume that does not include the venison.
£300 seems to be what it costs to put c£40 of venison in the freezer in the UK, when you add in everything involved, like travel, blank trips etc.

Last edited:
U'd just go out for a walk or spend the money and hire a motor and see more of the country,esp when ur only there for a short time.

On DoC land stalking is free (althou ur lack of a gun will be a problemm;)) It's a fantastic country and is well set up for outdoor access has a lot of DoC huts scattered all over the place out in the bush which are cheap/free to stay in.
Don't know the Auckland area that well but sure will be plenty of decent day hikes u could do, even go down to coramandel coast or some nice areas to north too

Unfortunately most of the guided hunting within easy reach of Auckland will be private behind wire stuff that caters for the American market with prices to match!

You might be able to find something to match your pocket and expectations if you try and find a "meat hunt" package.

Ruatiti Hunting Adventures

Or treat yourself to a flight to Queenstown, hire a car, drive to near Wanaka and have a day with these guys, stunning high country hunting and views to last a lifetime

New Zealand Hunting Packages Prices | Red Stag Hunting

Regards

BP

I'd go with ben's 2nd option Queenstown is absolutely stunning and so is the surrounding area. Some great pubs too.

Last time i was out done the greenstone and routeburn walks well worth it, routeburn is meant to be a world famous walk, i spied a few deer doing the greenstone and met a couple of hunters walking in on the trail 1 morning

Is that the 'roar' (rut) on the now then?
Lost track of S hemisphere time/seasons. my mates do say hunting can be a bit dodgy around the roar time, as woods full of wknd warriors that only come out 1 wknd a year and shoot at anything, movement, noise etc. And the mags always tell u to carry any trophpy heads upside down on ur shoulders or put a hi vis vest on it so ur not mistaken for a deer.
They always were orange cammo too even thou not compulsory

I am going to be in Australia and New Zealand from this coming Saturday for two weeks.

Where in Aus will you be?

Just put a post on Nz Hunt fish Forum, pretty sure someone will take you out or put you in touch with someone. Tell them you will buy them a 24 pack.

Sorry I missed all the posts, I am in the airport in Auckland waiting for my flight back to KL via Melbourne.

I went stalking for the day with Richard Ross at Balnagown near Silverdale and I had a really great day out. Richard has three hundred fenced acres and three hundred and fifty fallow. We stalked and slithered around for about three hours until we found a suitable animal and then I shot it at about 100metres with Richard's .243; a four point spiker which dropped to shot. The scenery was great, Richard and his wife were good company. After the stalk and the animal was gralloched and skinned, Richard and I had a bbq at his hunting lodge, it was super day. Yes, expensive, but memorable.

I did go to have a look round Gun City and Hunting and Fishing but I did not buy anything. The salesman at Gun City said he could organise a meat hunt for about 300 dollars should I go back to NZ.

I really enjoyed my time in New Zealand and I hope to get back, next time to the South Island as well. New Zealand is a very expensive place like Australia, there is nothing you can do about it, just pay.

Thanks for the information in the posts above which I have only just seen, I have been too busy working.

Interestingly I was told that 7mm08 is the most popular calibre in NZ.

Phil

Back